My First HomeMade Light - 2x10MM Super Bright RED

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,
just completed a little home-made lite i call the niteLite - it's a small jaycar semi-clear jiffy box, with a pair of hi-brightness red LEDs.

Off

2red10off.png

On

2red10on.png

Beamshot (~4ft)

2red10beam.png

Sorry about the cruddy image quality - my normal digi-cam is in america with my dad.

Also, the battery in there is half dead - stolen from my sister's RC car remote.

the LEDs are in series, it's a 9v battery, thru 2 390 ohm resistors in paralell. i think they are seeing about 30ma.

Thanks for looking,

neg

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My First HomeMade Light - 2x10MM Super Bright

My host doesnt work with Jpegs - as far as i know, the only kind that works is a PNG - so that's what they are.

soon i changing provider, so then it will be happy happy joy joy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

neg

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks!

it IS the first light i have made that acutally has a case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

the only other one i have made was the Cyberluxeon and that had no casing :p :p :p

neg

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

neg

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Very clean project.

Also I like the way the led domes appear to "grow" out of the also-clear casing, like they were molded as one piece. Thus it was a good choice of case color, too.

Very nice as well how the two beams converge into one on the beamshot. Thanks for sharing!

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow, a comment by the Bulkster himself! i am honoured!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
OK, well maybe a little overboard, but thanks!! Lots!!
the case was just one i had on hand - it actually has 2 holes on the back from where i was going to put the LEDs, but they were mis-aligned, so there went that. also, i held the LEDs in with a drop o superglue each /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

neg

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Looks better than my first custom job, which involved an overpriced 3mm white LED, resistors, 9V battery, slider switch, and an Altoids tin to hold it all together.

What a hatchet job that turned out to be.

Hm, not that my 2 subsequent custom projects look much better - save for the improved structural properties of my housing materials (2.50" OD x 0.25" wall acrylic tube & 0.125" wall aluminum pipe).

I seem to recall that it was going to feature two LEDs, but one of them resleased the magic smoke when accidentally exposed to a burst of 12V without the benefit of resistors.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Neg that's one cool looking boxlight. Good job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I've never build a light from scratch. Is that a momentary button? How do you find red lights perform at night?

Red LEDs are 1.7volts each? If your box permits, why not drive them parallel with two AA cells (3.0volts) plus two current limiting resistor, you will get a longer runtime.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ja, momentary pushbutton. very nice little thing i had laying around - these are 2.1 volts each super-red LEDs. i like the 9v better, and even AAAs won't fit in the box

neg

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like your light quite a bit. It's useful. I have a few two-LED folding lanterns that get daily and nightly use. It looks very nice too. Any light that might be the beginning parts of a robot is a light I'm going to like. What are you really up to there, Neg2LED?

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Umm, i was bored, i had a few hours, and these bits were laying around. i have to admit, they DO kinda look like eyes......

neg