NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Narrowly avoided a fire

  1. #1
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,257

    Default Narrowly avoided a fire

    Opened up the junk drawer in the kitchen today looking for the nail clippers. I found them sitting on top of a clear plastic tub of 9-volt batteries (the skin part of a skin-package) and the little metal chain that's attached to the clippers had gotten wedged into the plastic tub, where it lodged itself across both terminals of one of the batteries.

    The battery got dead-shorted by the keychain and melted a hole in the clear plastic tub! And this whole mess had been sitting only inches away from a little box of wooden matches. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif[/img]

    Fortunately the battery fizzled before the damage went any further, but now I'm a little more paranoid about 9-volt battery terminals.

    My point - if you have any loose 9-volt batteries laying around in a junk drawer or toolbox, put a piece of tape across the terminals to prevent them from shorting to nearby coins or tools.

    There was a story on the news just yesterday about a young boy whose cellphone exploded in his pocket and produced severe burns. One of the potential sources of these explosions/fires is exposed metal charging contacts on the bottom of the cellphone coming into contact with keys in the pocket. Every cellphone with this kind of charging connector should come with a rubber flap to keep the contacts covered when not charging.

    And every 9-volt battery should come with a removable plastic cap to keep the terminals covered until ready for use. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    2,407

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    the lithium 9 volts batterys could do a lot more damage even quicker.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,957

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    I try to keep my batteries in their packages unless needed.

    I had a 5 amp charger on my desk i used on a project battery. I had left it plugged in and on for three weeks. One day I went to grab something and that item moved the wires where the clips where to attach to a battery. I got a rain of sparks as they made contact. I felt so stupid and lucky knowing that was on and no fire occured.

  4. #4
    * The Arctic Moderator * Sigman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    "The 49th State"
    Posts
    10,122

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    Wow! Glad nothing bad happened, glad you found it and posted about it as well! Thanks!

  5. #5
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    somewhere in southern Yurrope
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    Photon, Im glad youre safe n sound!

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* 3rd_shift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    DFW. TX. U.S.A. Earth
    Posts
    3,337

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    This might make a good sticky in the batteries/electronics forum. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    *Retired* The_LED_Museum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Federal Way WA. USA
    Posts
    19,418

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    I second the motion re: making this thread a sticky in the Batteries/Electronics forum. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    as far as the exposed charging contacts on cell phones and other devices, most if not all have a short circuit protection. some of the no name cell phone batterys do not however

  9. #9
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,257

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    [ QUOTE ]
    markdi said:
    the lithium 9 volts batterys could do a lot more damage even quicker.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Oh yes, lithium batteries get really angry when shorted!
    [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,062

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    Wow, close call! Glad you're safe. I third the motion re:: making this thread a sticky in the Batteries/Electronics forum. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

  11. #11
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,257

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    Thanks guys. I might post a picture of the melted plastic tub. There's a nice little hole burned right through it!

  12. #12
    Flashaholic* MaxaBaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    2,260

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    Glad you're okay PW. We certainly don't need and burnt chip-munks around here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

  13. #13
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,257

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    Thanks MaxaBaker. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Yeah, burnt chipmunk fur isn't very pleasant!

  14. #14
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,257

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    Here's the pics...


    And another...

  15. #15
    Flashaholic* Sub_Umbra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    la bonne vie en Amérique
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    Whoa! That's scary.

    I've heard of 22LR rounds being cooked off by 9V batterys (loose in pockets). IIRC it only takes 10-15 seconds of contact.

  16. #16
    *Flashaholic* KevinL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At World's End
    Posts
    5,866

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    Glad you're safe. I've always treated 9Vs with care because I realized anything bridging the terminals could cause problems.

    I treat SLAs with even MORE care and I always tape both terminals with multiple layers of tape while they are in transit - you guys will recall SLAs 1. store a lot of juice 2. can put out a lot of juice...... they make 9V look decidedly wimpy.

    For 9Vs, a single layer of tape in storage should solve your problems.

  17. #17
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,257

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    Thanks Kevin.

    I'm not familiar with SLAs but it sounds like they do require careful handling.

    We've got a big ol' cardboard box full of 9volts at the office. I'm going to check on that box today and make sure they have caps, tape, or a better means of storage.

  18. #18
    Flashaholic* yuandrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Chino Hills, CA
    Posts
    1,318

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    Hmm, I better not tell you guys about my "Arc Welder" then

  19. #19
    Flashaholic* MaxaBaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    South Jersey
    Posts
    2,260

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    When I was younger, my friends and I would take 9 volts and see how long we could hold them on our tounges without hurting ourselves too badly. lol [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  20. #20
    *Flashaholic* PhotonWrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In a handbasket
    Posts
    12,257

    Default Re: Narrowly avoided a fire

    Yeah, that was a quick and dirty way to test them to see if there was any life left in them. Yuk! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/duh2.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •