Citronella tree

verbie

Enlightened
Anyone ever heard of it, know what it is, or know where I can find it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dukeleto

Newly Enlightened
It smells beautiful, is rather pretty, fairly hardy, you can make infusions with it, it keeps mozzies away, what more can you ask for! I have two bushes on my balcony.

Olivier

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't know there was an actual tree. I wonder if it flourishes in a tropical climate? Have to look into this--better than buying those candles and stuff.

tygger

Enlightened
actually citronella is almost totally useless against moquitoes. and if you use candles or torches it IS totally useless cause the CO2 released by the flame attracts them like candy. if you want you could use the candles or torches as bait (if you put them far away) to draw them away from you. believe it or not eucalyptus and soybean oil are the only two alternate products that work almost as good as DEET at keeping skeeters away. hope that helps keep the buggers away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

hancockcharlotte

Newly Enlightened
Grandmother had a Citronella Tree when I was little. We children could crush some of it's leaves and rub it on our arms and legs to keep mosquitoes off. At least I thought it was keeping the mosquitoes off. At present, a search has been made to find a CITRONELLA MUCRONATA TREE for a friend's yard. It's a native of Chili and grandmother had her yard furniture under hers. It should be humid enough to grow one here in Florida. So far, there has been no plant place here who have, have had, will have, or even have heard of such a tree. Where to get one to plant is the question. Anyway, I know the tree from childhood and hope your knowledge of it is broadened. Does yours ever have seedlings?