ARC4+ Rev.2 (LuxIII Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roc

Newly Enlightened
If you want to upgrade your ARC4+, it is the easy way for you to replace the 1.25w LED to LuxIII.

Therefore,you can get a powerful ARC4+ and keep all original functions.

DSC01352.JPG

DSC01351.JPG

DSC01353.JPG

DSC01382.JPG

Left:ARC4+ Rev.2(LuxIII TX1H) / Right:ARC4+ Rev.2

DSC01394.JPG

Left:EDC-U 60 / Middle:ARC4+ Rev.2(LuxIII TX1H) / Right:ARC4+ Rev.2

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi ROC,

Are you interested in letting go of one of your
arc4+ rev2's? I've been looking for one simply
because of the knurling near on the head.

I did the same thing to my my rev1 arc... except I
shoved a Lionheart circuit inside /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It puts out TWICE the output in lux compared to my EDC HDS 60 !!!

And it also runs on primaries too... putting about 100ma into
the emitter (15 hour runtime)

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
OK Roc, you have peaked my intrest. How difficult was it to remove? Did you simply apply lots of force to unscrew. Did it require much force? The sides of that plug, What material is it? Is it glued in? Loctite? Did you do any freeze thaw tactics? You can't just leave us hanging with but a handful of pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Tell us more. Enquiring minds want to know.

cy

Flashaholic
I'd too would like to know how you removed without destroying

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, how'd you do that?? Please tell us more.
And anyone who destroys an Arc4 in the process, PM me and I will purchase the remains /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sengoku

Enlightened
what i dont get is why the hotspot is about 2x larger just by replacing the 1w with a 3w. The hotspot looks just like the EDC u 60.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sengoku1986 said:
what i dont get is why the hotspot is about 2x larger just by replacing the 1w with a 3w. The hotspot looks just like the EDC u 60.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the brightness in the centre of the hotspot that is over loading the camera, causing the hotspot to appear bigger than it actually appears to the eye.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gregw said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sengoku1986 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the brightness in the centre of the hotspot that is over loading the camera, causing the hotspot to appear bigger than it actually appears to the eye.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree with that. If you set the shutter fast enough,
the hotspot will shrink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Which reminds me, some folks here just make shots of their beams
using their automatic setting and most of the the time the camera
will balance the exposure of the hotspot with the black background,
which will saturate the hotspot. Pretty much you can make an arc aaa
look like it's blasting the wall with intense light.

I hope people will realize that and start setting their cameras on
manual across all beamshots they compare. Otherwise the beam shots
are pretty much useless, because the camera will compensate. I
would name a few modders here doing that but I will refrain.

Roc

Newly Enlightened
4sevens,
I am sorry.ARC4+(LuxIII) is mine, but another isn't.

The ARC4+ LE is fixed by black adhesive.
I think the adhesive is the same as SureFire.
I took some photos to show how I force to unscrew the ARC4+'s LE.

DSC01398.JPG

DSC01396.JPG

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did some drilling and got out some flake. The 'epoxy' is similiar to the one used to pot ARC LS First Run. It should be weak once heated.

UPDATE: Not shown in the images above is that the whole 'module' consists of two double sided circuit boards and a Can. If you over heat the epoxy and it becomes too weak you will risk ripping off components from the pcb. IMHO it's very risky procedure.

If you want to do so, heat the part near the luxeon and not near the threads. This is where the epoxy grabs the head. If you heat near the threads then you will weaken the epoxy which holds the pcb to the rest of the module.

More pics to come tommorow.

vince.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
I had a wee go at getting mine apart. I applied huge amounts of force, no heat. Nothing happened. It's still in there. Light strong like bull. Bull stronger than fox.

Roc

Newly Enlightened
Yes,I heated it up by the electric iron.
I am not sure whether it is useful to unscrew the LE.
I applied a lot of strength to unscrew it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need alot of courage to disassemble/kill one Arc4+. :sweat:

If you look at the second picture, it is the 'can' that you want to remove. Look again closely, you can see groove under the PCB(printed circuit board) hole. You will need a removal tool, something similiar to the needle nose plier shown in the first image. However it is not a suitable tool. :mad::thinking: Best tool is a custom made tool that not only go through the PCB holes but also fits nicely in to the 'can' grooves.

If you use a needle nose plier, make sure that you are applying force on to the 'can' instead of the PCB. There's a high possiblility of ripping off the top PCB with unsuitable tools. The 'can' wall is very thin, you can slip while turning you won't know it because the PCB is there to hold your tool so check often that you are in the grooves instead of the PCB. You want to unscrew the 'can' not the PCB.

Not shown in above images, the sandwich is connected via numerous jumper pins. The inductor was ripped off and pending repairs. :pullhair: The luxeon is attached with only thermal paste. The whole 'can' is covered/filled with very thick thermal paste, it was a tough job cleaning it without proper cleaning agent. :banghead:

I heated the head and did many mistakes. I would say I am two? times lucky. I had a few components ripped off but they can be soldered back. Disassembly without the knowledge of construction leads to a risky result.

The 'can' and sandwich is pot with epoxy. I used brutal ways to remove the pcb. I wouldn't have any idea to remove it in a proper job. :thinking: I had to boil the pcb to scratch off all the epoxy. The epoxy becomes soft and flexible like hard rubber once heated. It can then be 'skinned' off from the circuit board while it sits in the boiling water. You have to be wearing gloves or turn off the heat if not you can have steamed fingers for dinner :crazy: :D

can.jpg

pcb-1.jpg

pcb-2.jpg

vince.

Last edited:

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen many pics on the Arc4+ insides so I took them for reference purposes. I hope it will help those who need it for repairs/modding.

I hooked up my Arc4+ Luxeon to the test bench and measured the forward voltage.

350ma - 3.33 volts
700ma - 3.67 volts

So it seems that I've got a xxxJ bin where vf is between 3.27 - 3.51volts.

In addition to the inductor, the part number is DR74-4R7. That's a 4.7uH 0.0297Ohm capable of pumping around 3 amps of current(3.78A peak). Coilcraft or Cooper Bussmann[datasheet] makes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.