Question about high-speed internet and email

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Question: I just connected my pee-cee via a network cable to my housemate's high-speed internet connection - Comcast High Speed if I'm not mistaken. It was done with his permission - he was actually urging me to get it done, so it's not like I'm stealing his service or anything. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My internet connection is nice and fast now, but I can not receive or send email unless I use my AT&T dial-up account, and restrict my speeds to what dial-up has to offer.

Is there any way to access my email so I can download it into Netscape Communicator via high-speed connection?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Maybe. Depends mostly on whether AT&T & Comcast allows SMTP forwarding. Some ISPs don't allow you to access their popmail servers from outside of their own connections. They do this to control spam and other types of fraud. But some ISPs do allow it.

First off, check with AT&T and see if they offer a Webmail version of email. That will get you started quickly while you work out the settings for Netscape.

Now that you've got a broadband connection, before you do anything else, go to zonelabs.com and download and install the free version of ZoneAlarm. I can't stress how important this is with a broadband connection!

Next, go to Mozilla.org and download the latest version of the Mozilla suite. It'll look for your existing Netscape settings and import them when you install it, so you won't lose any of your settings.

Finally go to AT&T's online help pages and get their popmail or SMTP server settings. Then create a new Netscape (or Mozilla) screen-name (just to be safe) and go to mail server settings and plop in the incoming and outgoing server names. I think that Mozilla also has a New Account Wizard that will walk you through it once you have the server names in hand.

Good luck and welcome to broadband!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Edit: Damn, I type slow, but at least I know short-form a link. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Craig, I'm kinda computer stupid, but doesn't AT&T allow remote access? (Go to AT&T's site and log-in/read/send mail.) I *think* your mail client could be configured to download/clear your AT&T "mail space." You'll have to stay paid-up to keep the mail addy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif and good luck!

Larry

Saaby

Flashaholic
Hey Craig, talk to AT&T. I'm 100% positive you should be able to DOWNLOAD your AT&T Mail when you're not on their network.

You may need to reconfigure your outgoing mail to go through Comcast's SMTP server, which shouldn't matter weather it's from an AT&T email address -- at least not in my experience with Comcast.

All my incoming mail comes from mail.myrealbox.com
All my outgoing mail, even for my "myrealbox" email address, goes through smtp.comcast.net

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
May want to set up an email with a 3rd party email service so that you can log in from any network anywhere you like.
www.hotmail.com is one I have had for years.
Several internet service providers later, I still have same email addresses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I really appreciate the advise to use internet-based email, thank you all, but my email address is on ~800 different web pages of my own websites and on who knows how many outside links.
Changing my email address would not be very practical at this point.

I think the best course of action here would be to contact my ISP (AT&T) and see what they suggest. There is a webmail client available, but I don't know how to import messages into Netscape Communicator when I'm not using AT&T service.