Mag stump

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Would it be hard to rethread a "D" maglite? I just got an idea and I think it would be quite cool. If I shortened my 3 "D" twoksabre to about 6.5 inches in length and ran two CR123 batteries direct drive to the TWOK. It would be short, LED, powerful as hell AND would be somewhat adjustable and still heavy enough to use as a pistol whipping device. Whatcha think? Could it be done? Has it been done? .o0O(I wonder)

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I think you'll end up overdriving your LED with 2 CR123s unless you toss in some resistance.

Also, you're going to have a great deal of real estate inside that Mag - 2 CR123s stacked are about 2.70" high (a D cell is about 2.40" high).

Runtime will be reduced - ~1500mAH with CR123 vs ~20000mAH with alkaline D, 5000-10000mAH NiMH D.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like your approach to modding. However that specific mod will not last long.
DD a TW0K with 2xCR123 will cook the LED with +2.5A

If you want something short with a ton of LED power then try a Minetrois-1D. CroMagnet/PaulB and I just finished an orange one. Maybe CroMagnet can tell you more about it since he took it home just as it got dark.

Here's the spec. if you want to build something similar.

- A whooping +260 lumens output (@ 1000mA)
- Mag1D host (6" body)
- PTS-D heatsink
- 3x TY0H or TW0J Stars
- 3x IMS SO20XA reflector
- Fatman driver
- 4AA-1D battery adapter (for higher output)
o 3AA-1D battery adapter
o UCL

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I did was get a Mag2C cut down to house two CR123s. This combo is very practical. Toss in a regulator of some sort (buck for Lux3, boost for LuxV) - I used a Fatman with a LuxV, dimmer pot and all... the end result was beautiful. And the LuxV really brings out the best in the light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alternatively, cut your 2D down to 1D, and use 3 AA NiMH rechargeables to DD your TW0K.