Warning to Hotmail people

bole64

Newly Enlightened
I was just browsing around and checking my e-mail when i noticed some funny topics. The subject on the E-mail was "Registration Confirmation" and it was from <[email protected]>. The part that would get people is this (this is the actual text that was in the e-mail) :

Account and Password Information are attached!

Visit: http://www.aol.com

*** Server-AntiVirus: No Virus (Clean)
*** "HOTMAIL" Anti-Virus
*** http://www.hotmail.com

I think it is interesting that they put that little part about the antivirus on the bottom, they are just trying to trick you to download the zip file that is attached. All you get is the WORM_SOBER.S virus. I just wanted to warn all of you out there not to download the text zip that is attached to this file. (Just to add, my junk mail filter caught this mail)

jtice

Flashaholic
ive gotten a few similar to this,

I am getting ALOT more spam lately, really pissing me off.

It was real bad a couple years back, then went down,, now its back.

I dont understand, what do these places that send all this FAKE spam gain from it?
Most of the ads and crap i get, arent even real!

Fat_Tony

Enlightened
jtice, spam is apparently so cheap to send, that the people who "purchase" it as a form of "advertising" generally only need to sell a few more widgets per 100,000 e-mails sent to make sending spam economically worthwhile for them (this is for spam used by companies that are not a complete and total sham/scam). And believe it or not, there are people who purchase stuff from Spam e-mails. There was an article in the WSJ last year about one such individual. He enjoyed going through the several hundred spam e-mails that he received everyday, and deciding which products to purchase. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif As for "fake spam" as you put it, I would assume that these are scams, and hence, the scammers would have even lower overhead than a legitimate company, which would make sending spam an even more economically viable method of trolling for victims. Enough to make you sick, huh?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Fat_Tony said:
...And believe it or not, there are people who purchase stuff from Spam e-mails... Enough to make you sick, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, yes, that wonderful 0.002 % (or whatever) who actually complete the SPAM circle and make it viable as a business model. It is truly amazing how so few jerks have the ability to inconvenience so many others by their actions.

Must...stop...here...

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get a lot of stuff about photos of women from hotmail accounts. I get those for ED medication and fake emails from banks, ebay, paypal where they try to trick you into entering your credit card or account info. THey use a .net or org address and in some cases hot link to the ligit website.