Surefire L2 Just Changed

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a new Surefire L2 a few weeks ago, the "latest" version with the rounded body.

My wife borrowed it one day for her job, and was so impressed she bought one too. Hers came from a local store that had just received a new order from Surefire.

The head on my wife's is different, longer. The middle "ring" on mine -- the scalloped one -- is 1/10 inch shorter than my wife's. Her L2 head is longer than mine.

No problem, just strange to watch a product evolve so fast.

Something changed inside. Heat sinking? A Homeland Security/FBI tracking chip? Is it just updated electronics, or alien technology? Hmmm. . .

Scott

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go. Sorry about the color -- it is too yellow for some reason.
l2heads1bv.jpg

See what I mean? Hers is bigger than mine, very disturbing. What, is her hot surface hotter than my hot surface? (Don't answer that.) I feel so "yesterday" over this, so left behind.

Scott

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Well ... take them apart and look for the differences inside, do it for science! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And you can also just swap L2s with your wife, I am quite sure she'll like the smaller one better, ya know ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bernie

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
*Looks* to me like *maybe* they changed either the heat sinking or the reflector/ optics......Hows the beam and throw? Are they the same?

The best way to tell is take them apart.....

Hey Al....where are you, whats the deal on this...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aloha

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was the first thing I did -- twisted their little heads off. I couldn't see or measure any difference backside. The glass is set in the same distance on both, so there is an increase in internal length of 0.105" (2.67 mm). OD on the part in question is 1.100", both lights.

I threw them on my balance: my L2's head weighs 28.2 g; hers is 34.5 g. Maybe someone can figure out how much aluminum that is.

I'm a little squeamish about taking the heads proper apart on the light I use for emergency calls, or her new baby, so someone else will have to do that.

I am thinking it might be a heat sink thing. If the newer LEDs coming out are more sensitive to heat sinking, and existing LEDs could benefit from more agressive heat management, I would go ahead and make changes now if I were Surefire.

But who knows. I don't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott

PS: Beams are virtually identical.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mid-section reminds me of the L4 head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
This might explain the "Error" 5 watt E2L lights.

The new L2 head looks like the "Error" head and the "Error" head fits and works on the L2.

Looking at the picture of the new L2 leads me to believe that Surefire put the new L2 heads on E2L bodies by mistake.

I have the old L2, a "Error" 5 watt E2L, L4, and a E2L for comparison.

The middle section appears the same on the L4 and the new L2. This would enable Surefire to use the some of the same parts for the L4 and L2.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
This is a GREAT THREAD because - my own error light has a very nice tint. But I thought it was simply because I was overdriving it to an "angry blue-white" due to the two R123s I was direct-driving it with. But due to this GREAT THREAD I was finally motivated enough to go to my flashlight cabinet and SWAP HEADS with my L2. And ya know what? The error's 5W indeed HAS a better tint! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

So now my error light will be a permanent home to the original "warmer" L2 dumb-head, while the slightly longer "error" head just upgraded my original L2 to the new and improved look, not to mention a pure, brilliant, snow-white tint!

Thanks beezaur! Woo Hoo!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Oops, forgot about the latest L2's new, rounded body...well, at least now my L2 is like no other! Still rates a big, fat "Woo Hoo"!!!

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. . .

So, let me get this right: The new E2Ls sometimes has this longer head screwed on by mistake, hence the "Error E2L" business. Surefire must have been altering the L2 head at that time, and somehow the new L2 head was screwed onto some E2Ls? Or is the longer head from something else?

Scott

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Beezaur, The "error" heads have a 5W LS. Look carefully at the LED- 5W's have four 1W dies and the phosphor area is larger accordingly. As Charley said, the "error" heads are fantastic on 2) R123's! There are some concerns with the LED's life with that configuration. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
MR Bulk said, "not to mention a pure, brilliant, snow-white tint!"

Yes, Her L2 is definitely whiter than mine, and maybe a little brighter too.

Scott

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Pure speculation but given the evidence presented, I put my money on the new L2 head having more mass and surface area for thermal reasons. This new L2 head also explains the strange surfacing of the error lights with 5W dumb heads! Duh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good thread and good detective work guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Unlike some of you, I am real happy with my error light on DD with 2x123 and comfortably underdriven! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I too got a nice blue white unit which has good color even at lower than spec current levels.

seattlite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
So now my error light will be a permanent home to the original "warmer" L2 dumb-head, while the slightly longer "error" head just upgraded my original L2 to the new and improved look, not to mention a pure, brilliant, snow-white tint!

[/ QUOTE ]
Master Bulk,
Did you happen to try your ORIGINAL L2 head on the E2L WITH 2xR123's? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee, why does SF keep making their lights longer and larger? Sure, I know they're improvements, but ever put an original E2 side-by-side with an L2? The difference is well, enormous.

Don't mind me, I'm just peeved because I want a light the size of the original E2, with variable output to about 500 lumens, in an LED version and with amazing reach. Oh, and it has to run for at least two hours on max brightness...and cost less than $50.

marcspar

Enlightened
Charlie,

Is it as bright using the regulated L2 body (which has some sort of boost driver, I assume) with normal 123's as it was in the "error" light (direct drive) using the rechargeable 123's?

Thanks,

Marc

akula88

Enlightened
All this discussion /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but this was never mentioned ---

-- Does the "Error"5W E2L comes with reflector or optic?
-- Does the "new and stretched" L2 dumb head comes with reflector or optic?