No more pop-ups

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I use IE and Firefox. Since I upgraded IE with Service pack II, replaced Mcafee with Norton Internet security, got Spybot and Adaware I have not had a single pop-up on either browser for the last two months. Not one!

Brightnorm

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
My pop-ups are almost non-existent with Firefox. Only prob is that after a couple of days of not turning off the machine, Firefox starts to go wacko (parts of the screen disappear) and I have to reboot. Think its some kind of memory issue.

Sounds like you have things under control.

best regards
me

ledlurker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
I use IE and Firefox. Since I upgraded IE with Service pack II, replaced Mcafee with Norton Internet security, got Spybot and Adaware I have not had a single pop-up on either browser for the last two months. Not one!

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto: no popups for over 5 months

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. My father's laptop used to be invaded with laptops. Leave it alone for about 30 minutes, and you cant even use it and it usually freezes after the first few clicks due to all the popups. Also, Ive noticed that there are two kinds of popups. One is from the internet browser, and the other kind is from some program or something. Has anybody else seen those before? In my experience, they only appeared on my brother's Windows XP.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
roflol!
do they go in through the vents like ants?
if you have a big problem with popups get spybot search and destroy and adaware spybot
adaware

[ QUOTE ]
Mags said:
I agree. My father's laptop used to be invaded with laptops. Leave it alone for about 30 minutes, and you cant even use it and it usually freezes after the first few clicks due to all the popups. Also, Ive noticed that there are two kinds of popups. One is from the internet browser, and the other kind is from some program or something. Has anybody else seen those before? In my experience, they only appeared on my brother's Windows XP.

[/ QUOTE ]

greenLED

Flashaholic
Why use 4 different pieces of software when FireFox gets the job done by itself. I've been pop-up free from day 1 using FireFox.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
In (grudging) fairness to IE I have to say that the pop-ups became extremely rare after I installed Servicepack II.

BN

LightChucker

Enlightened
My machine has been very stable with no popups or other problems for a long time now. I am using WinXP Pro sp2, the beta of Windows firewall, Norton AntiVirus and Firewall, and a Linksys router. Every once in a while, I will run adAware.

Also, before I install ANYTHING, I let Norton take a look at it. I NEVER open any email attachments that could contain an executable script of any kind (even from close friends). Windows now warns me whenever a web site wants to install an Activex file or such, and there has to be a really good reason for me to allow that to happen.

I do not use a spam blocker. Even so, spam is not much of a problem. I only get from 1-10 per day - not bad. I think I know where the leak is coming from, and I am going to take steps to plug that.

Any time I receive a phishing email, I report it to the target business so they can get on the criminals quickly; just doing my little part to fight back.

Chuck