Mini Mag drop ins

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the brightest drop in available for the Mini Mag?
What are the other options? I a thinking of making some gifts for some friends using Mini's as hosts, and I want them to be as impressive as they would expect from me.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Reptilezs

Enlightened
the ones from the sandwich shop are probaly the brightest. another option would be the terralux drop in. i would personaly just get a bunch of streamlight jr luxs instead.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Part of the appeal of using Minimags is that the conversion provides the flashlight with a 'wow' factor!

Personally I rate the Minimag base as excellent for converting whether using an Opalec or a BB and have recently warmed to the Terralux as it is so easy to reverse without voiding the Mag guarantee.

Doug

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy the ones that are already assembled at the Sandwich shoppe

You have probably been around long enough to hear about these. I cant really recommend that many since my experience with them is limited. The madmax modules are bright, semiregulated, and IMO, nice! The NexGen has longer runtime while still having great brightness.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just checking out 2AA drop-ins today at flashlightreviews.com. The MadMax 800 had the greatest throw and brightness. The next brightest, I believe, was the EverLED. There may be newer entries that have not been reviewed there.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Terralux dropins are a good cheap (<$25US) way to start modding a maglite. No messing around required: pull out the incandescent bulb, replace with the Terralux module. Replace stock reflector with terralux reflector. Turn on mag and impress your mates and loved ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd recommend either a Ministar2 (1W luxeon) or a Microstar1 (0.5W Nichia) , both will dramatically increase the brightness and run time of your mag. Neither have the worlds most eye pleasing beam though...

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got a 1AA MiniMag body from TrueBlue and put in a nexgen 750 sammie, with a TWOJ, from the Shoppe. I also added a 20mm reflector (some trimming of the outside of the reflector required) and a mineral glass lens. It uses a single 14500 battery ( free lumens).

This is one very nice light, if I do say so myself. It's a little pricey for a gift unless your friends are really, realy good friends.

Krit

Enlightened
Note that too bright might not suit for some close up work. I think 2AA mag drop in with madmax light or BB400 is close for all work and make it long run time and cool temp operate. But If your friend want long throw minimag you should drop in with BB500+ or Minipro engine from Lambda with shorter runtime..

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't planning on going the whole way with a mod, I was just thinking a drop-in and some lithiums.. This is some great info!

Steve C

Enlightened
I've had experience or second-hand knowledge with three variations; OpaLec Newbeam (2), InReTech (2), and TerraLux (1).

Both InReTechs broke a piece of the "crystal" off when dropped, rendering the light unusable. InReTech did replace the crystal free of charge when requested, but when it happened the second time I wrote the unit off. The TerraLux, owned by a friend, also failed less than two weeks after he got it. I don't remember exactly what broke, but I can find out if its important to you.

The OpaLecs are going strong. The first one has been on my work bench for a couple of years now; it gets used daily, and dropped at least twice a week. Actually, lest you think I'm terribly clumsy, it gets knocked off the bench as I move stuff around. My brother has one that sees similar usage/abuse. My pal with the TerraLux replaced it with an OpaLec, and it is now his FAA-mandated flight bag light (he's an airline pilot). And, my second one rides in the warbag as a spare.

The point is, the OpaLecs have stood up to normal "wear and tear" through being used; the other two brands have not. Sure, that is a very limited sample. But I think you'll find more OpaLecs in use, by satisfied users, than any of the others.

The OpaLec's regulation provides ten or so hours of medium-bright light. In absolute darkness it would be a great primary light. Very few of us ever see conditions of absolute darkness. The OpaLec excels as a utility light for peering into dark places around the office or home or vehicle. It will not light up the back yard, but is plenty bright enough to handle probably 90% of what a domestic flashlight is normally used for.

If you want super brightness, there are plenty of "mods" around for that, although, to me anyway, doing this on a Mini-Mag is somewhat akin to polishing a turd. If you want a very bright small light, get a SureFire incan.

The concept of an LED mod for the Mini-Mag is an excellent one. IMO, the OpaLec NewBeam is the best bang for the buck in that genre.

But look at the StreamLight Lux Jr too, as was mentioned above. It is only a few bucks more than a "conversion", and already has a clickie switch (which is very handy and makes one-hand operation a snap. Both of my OpaLecs have Kroll tail-cap clickies- another $5).

You can pay over $50 for one of the "premier sandwiches". Or, you can pay a trifle more and get an OpaLec conversion or StreamLight Lux Jr. AND a SureFire G2. The G2 is The Great Equalizer among utility lights; everybody should have at least one... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AuroraLite

Enlightened
From my own experiences with Newbeam, Terralux and Sandwiches(BBNG 500, 750, MadMax, MadMax Lite), and some self modded Minimag LED mods, I would strongly recommend making or buying a BBNG 500. I too agreed that the brightest might not be the most useful light for closeup work.

With a limited reflector size of a minimag, it is probably not entirely realistic to expect some super throw(like a Mag lux III mod) from it. Personally, for close range up to 30 feet, I would much rather to have a nice well balance between runtime and brightness; and for that, I would recommend a BBNG 500 which continuous regulated runtime is 1.5+ hours and at least a few hours of moon mode afterwards.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have had no trouble with the 3 terralux i have. and they get used pretty roughly by my tech.VDG

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Pydpiper said:
I wasn't planning on going the whole way with a mod, I was just thinking a drop-in and some lithiums.. This is some great info!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you just want drop-in, then the Terralux are a good option. People around here complain about the beam, but for a non-flashaholic, it's a great improvement over the regular incan lamp.

Quotes from family/friends:
Do you mean it will never burn???
How's that possible??
Are you sure I won't need to change the bulb?"
WOA! That's bright!

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Steve C

I've got various drop ins but think you are being a little harsh on Terralux's module.

I mean the mini-mag has nearly zero shock absorbing ability in a concussive lateral drop. In the vertical plain there 'maybe' the most modest of shock absobtion from the battery spring but in large the mini-mag cant dissipate the energy from a heavy drop. I am hypothesising that the Opalec can handle shock better only because of its mass and the fact that it has plastic legs which securely attach it to the switch as well as its 2 electrical leads.

The Terralux doesn't have as much mass and only sits on the switch using inteferrence fit on its two electrical leads which will in all probability dislodge as the result of the drop and cause damage to the LED itself.

Of course you could always do what I do and keep a filter rubber on the bezel. This absorbs shock pretty good and definitely helps avoid the damage that your MM's have had.

Doug

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nobody has mentioned the MJLED. This is a good mod for the minimag. Mine was similar in brightness to the stock bulb with new batteries but had a bigger spot, a nice smooth beam, better color, more reliable and much longer life.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
bjn70

Did you use AA lithiums? It is much better on lithiums than on either rechargeables or Alks.

I've actually used my MJLED in a AAA Minimag (with Lithiums) and it is way better than the incandescent version.

Doug

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I'd be more worried about breaking a terralux module by turning the mag off too tightly. This causes the module to twist, to the point where the pins cross and short out or even physically break inside the module (I've had this happen when I lent a terralux mag to some friends). If you want a permanent fix to this I guess you could epoxy the module onto the mag...

Bradlee

Enlightened
As with voodoogreg, I have had no problems with my Terralux drop-in. If you were to go this route, I would suggest gluing the bottom of the circuit board to the "Do Not Remove" plastic piece it sits on. This will prevent it from twisting with the head, and thus will prevent it from shorting out.

I know I'm fairly pleased with it's throw, considering its price, and have had several "wow, that's bright" comments myself from non-flashaholics.