L5vs U2 on Quickbeam's site?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
L5vs U2 on Quickbeam\'s site?

The L5 has more over all light compared to the U2? I thought the U2 was rated at 35 more lumens (100 at one time) The L2 has the MOST over all??

Luna

Enlightened
Re: L5vs U2 on Quickbeam\'s site?

I asked quickbeam about this and he mentioned would look into it (because I know my L2 isn't putting out more than the my U2). This was a few weeks ago but I haven't seen mention of it again.

jtice

Flashaholic

I dont have a L2, but I would think there is no way its putting out more lumens (overall output) then the U2.
It may out throw it (although i really dont think it does)

Luna

Enlightened

The L2 is rated at 100 and the U2 100/80 depending on the different specs printed. QB show the L2 blowing the others out of the water in terms of total output. Its beam is like an L4 so throw is not close.

My L2 is bluer than my U2 but with ceiling bounce tests (light meter and ccd/computer testing) show this particular U2 to be about 20% higher in total output than my L2. You could say that the L2 I have might be a lotto loser in an effort to question my results but it isn't. I used a P60 as my reference and the calculations put the L2 around 98 lumens .

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's possible the L2 is brighter. It uses a smaller reflector, so logically there's not as much loss of photons due to the optical path.

I think what's happening here is that people are mistaking a more intense, tighter beam for overall output.

seattlite

Enlightened

What converter board does SF use on the L5, U2, L2? I thought I read somewhere that on high, the L2 might be in direct drive with fresh cells, then regualted thereafter.

I know that my "error" E2L with a direct drive Lux V(same head as the L2), runs brighter than my L5. I also compared the "error" E2L with the U2 at my local SF dealer, and the "error" E2L was MUCH brigheter than the U2 at level 6.

jtice

Flashaholic

ah, sorry, i was thinking of the L1, i gorgot the L2 was a 5W. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

it could be putting alittle more i guess.
maybe since the u2 reflector is so deep, to focus the beam more, it actually looses some lumens

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wait a minute, direct drive off 2 cells would not be very bright

"I know that my "error" E2L with a direct drive Lux V(same head as the L2), runs brighter than my L5. I also compared the "error" E2L with the U2 at my local SF dealer, and the "error" E2L was MUCH brigheter than the U2 at level 6. "

seattlite

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
Wait a minute, direct drive off 2 cells would not be very bright

"I know that my "error" E2L with a direct drive Lux V(same head as the L2), runs brighter than my L5. I also compared the "error" E2L with the U2 at my local SF dealer, and the "error" E2L was MUCH brigheter than the U2 at level 6. "

[/ QUOTE ]
You are right....what was I thinking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif My "Error" E2L head is quite DIM on 2xCR123 cells. Apologies! Maybe the L2's converter is driving the Lux V harder than the L5 or U2? But, its probably the lottery.