Einstein the Bird: The smartest parrot around

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thanks for the link... that was neat! African Greys are just amazing. Do some Googling on Alex the African Grey at the University of Arizona.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a very smart parrot, but it's far from being the smartest. I believe the parrot with the highest'I.Q.', was an African Grey from Germany. It had a vocabulary of something like 300 words and could string them together in many many different sentences. The parrot would literally understand what humans were saying and could hold a decent conversation with them. Just crazy.

Cool link though Mags, thanks!

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
from the mistakes the bird made I think he does all of the sounds in a set order.

the discovery channel had a show about parrots that blew me away.

one of the parrots would fetch a certain shaped and colored puzzle piece and put it into one of three colored cups.

you would tell the bird to put the orange rectangle in the blue cup and then he would do it.

they had a little kid pick the color and shape then the cup color to put it in - the bird never failed.

I wish I had that show on dvd - they had a lot of talented parrots in it.

I think Alex the African Grey was one of them

I saw them training einstien on animal plannet a while ago.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
from the mistakes the bird made I think he does all of the sounds in a set order.

the discovery channel had a show about parrots that blew me away.

one of the parrots would fetch a certain shaped and colored puzzle piece and put it into one of three colored cups.

you would tell the bird to put the orange rectangle in the blue cup and then he would do it.

they had a little kid pick the color and shape then the cup color to put it in - the bird never failed.

I wish I had that show on dvd - they had a lot of talented parrots in it.

I think Alex the African Grey was one of them

I saw them training einstien on animal plannet a while ago.

[/ QUOTE ]I also wanted to see the bird doing the sounds out of order.

For all those "picking the answer" animals, like the colored puzzles/cups you described, very often the humans give, sometimes unintentionally, signals. There is the famous story of a German horse, something like 60/70 years ago, who supposedly could count, and gave off the results by clapping with his hoof. It was found that his trainer just had to raise his head slightly to tell the horse when to stop. I have seen this exact same thing sometime ago on Jay Leno, with a counting dog. Unfortunately, the dog's lady owner gave very obvious signals when the dog gave the wrong answer.

So you have to be careful to assign such show gigs to amazing animal intelligence.