Help a n00b pick out a decent flashlight!

Slvgx

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I am new to these forums. I am not hugely into lights and stuff, I am more into pocket knives. They seem to go well together though.

Here's some quick info on me. I am 21 and I will be moving into my first apt. in Chicago soon. I am not looking for the best out there because I bet it costs a lot more than I have. Since I have not ever experienced the best flashlights out there I am hoping I can get a decent one and never know the difference.

What I am looking for:

- Rather small. I don't have anything specific in mind for size. Something that fills the hand nicely but nothing too huge. I am looking to throw it in a backpack and leave it by my bed at night. Something I can forget I am taking with me everywhere but still use it when the need arises.

- Inexpensive. I am young and have no money. I am not looking for more something much more than $50. I can be swayed if there is something exponentially better for a tad bit more. This also goes for things like needing to buy new batteries or other parts a lot.

- Does not require a lot of maintenance. I'll be honest, I really know how much work goes on with them, but I don't want a lot of work. I see some people do lots of mods and stuff, that's cool, but not for me. I'd think LED would be more easy to take care of, but you people are the experts not me.

- I like the ones that have buttons on the butt, they seem more useful like that.

- I do not plan on using it all tactical like or anything. I also don't plan on using it for battoning some ninja that broke into my place, or blinding him with some super beam...my self defense is screaming like a little girl and running.

Pretty much I want a decent enough light for a n00bie usage in the city. I was looking are the Surefire E1E, seemed like a cool small light, a bit expensive though. I don't really know many brands so I was grabbing at names in the dark. Surefire seems to be a highly regarded company on the knife message boards so that's how I knew the name.

Any links would be greatly appreciated. Also please take into consideration that I don't know the flashlight lingo so lots of abbreviations will soar over my head.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

From your post I think you would like a Streamlight Junior Luxeon or maybe a Surefire G2.

If you were willing to spend more money I would recommend one of the following:
Surefire A2
Surefire L2
Surefire L4

A Surefire E2e is about the same size as the Surefire L4 and would give you a best quality light for less money.

You can read reviews of these lights on Quickbeam's Flashlight Reviews

I recommend you read a lot before spending your money.

etnt

Newly Enlightened
Peak Matterhorn HA Ultra 3 led. It's slightly smaller than a solitare in the lug body and very light. Pop it into you keyring and you would not even notice it.

It runs on AAA so either normal alkalines or nimh will do, the running cost is pretty low and it's bright for it's size.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome!!!

Well, in the $50 range and LED, the Nuwai Q3 seems to be the light of choice.

Many here on CPF modify these, including me, putting in higher output LED's. This increases the price, but you get a much more pleasing light.

Stock, they can be had for as little as $35.00 dollars or so, and modified, for $50-60. The modified lights will have a more desirable colored tint, usually more white or blue white, and may have a lower current draw, letting the battery run longer.

Good luck in your quest, but squeeze your wallet tight!

Bill

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're stuck on Surefire and you want the kroll clicky that doesn't cost too much I would recommend the surefire G2.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slvgx,
Welcome to CPF! I work in Chicago, it's a wonderful city. I agree with bwaites, a Nuwai Q3 is a nice little light for the money and you can EDC (every day carry) it and it will be there when you need it. Best of luck to you.

ChocolateLab33

Jefff

Enlightened
welcome and I want to second the advise about a Q3 or Q-III . it is a very nice bright light and only requires one cr123a battery and can be happy with using the r123's as well I love mine and it is so small you wont be anoyed by having on ya at all times..

Slvgx

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I got more replies than I thought I would already. I looked at the Q-III and it seems like it would fit the bill.

I am making the assumption that many Flashaholics are also Knife Knuts. I say this just because tons of the EDC posts on the knife sites I check have nice flashlights to go with it. I am almost looking for like the Spyderco Delica of flashlights. It is well made by a trusted company, beats the hell out of the crappy stuff you buy at the local drug store and can tackle most tasks all while being reasonably priced.

That Quickbeam's reviews site is really awesome and extremely helpful. I will keep looking around and checking what you experts have to recommend, right now I am leaning towards the Q-III.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
etnt said:
Peak Matterhorn HA Ultra 3 led. It's slightly smaller than a solitare in the lug body and very light. Pop it into you keyring and you would not even notice it.

It runs on AAA so either normal alkalines or nimh will do, the running cost is pretty low and it's bright for it's size.

[/ QUOTE ]

since you like knives as well, i bought a ToolLogic SL2 knife and a the Peak Matterhorn HA Ultra 3LED to go with the knife. http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/details/tc_surv_knives_sl2.html
its no Spyderco but its a pretty handy 3 in 1. knife, flashlight and a whistle to! theres a keyring hole if you want to attach keys to it or a lanyard.

X33

Enlightened
What about the INOVA T1? Sturdy little light with a nice focused beam.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest a Mag 2AA (your choice of color) with a $25 or $30 LED upgrade. That would give you a platform you could grow with as you earn more money: Add a glass lens, a better reflector, a different tailcap, or a more powerful LED. I'd further suggest you go directly to our Buy/Sell/Trade forum and, for aboutg $37, pick up a Mag 2AA that's been machined to take a 20mm reflector rather than the stock 17mm. By doing it right the first time, you won't feel the urge to start over.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd think the QIII is the Delica of the flashlight world, or at least the CPF flashlight world. Have some batteries laying around, they're always good to have. Code09.com has them on sale if you look around. .

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think the QIII would be a good place to start.
While there are many knife nuts here, there is a difference when comparing companies. QIII is an excellent starter and can be modded etc.

Maybe Kershaw is to knives as Nuwai QIII is to lights.
However Benchmade and Mr. Bulks lights go hand in hand and
McGizmo and Sebenza could also work well together.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
QIII, or the Inova T1 or T2, maybe an Inova X5t. I would also recommend some batteries from "The Battery Station"(a CPF supporter). That way you don't have to pay $5.00 for one battery at a local store.
I carry a T1 every day. Great light. My QIII rides in my slingbag that I carry to work every day.
Let us know what ya decide, and welcome to the Candlepower Forums!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

AuroraLite

Enlightened
I agreed with Paul, a good LED upgrade(like Terralux, Newbeam or even Sandwich) with use of a Minimag 2AA is great platform to start with. You could switch the host in various color and upgrade that light bit by bit. One could simply use inexpensive Alkaline or rechargable for the 2AAs.

I too would think that QIII is an excellent choice too, but my only reservation is the 123 batteries are usually more costly than alkaline. And it might be less easy to find when you need it for emergency.

Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hikaru

Newly Enlightened
At first I was going also going to recommend the Q3. I just got mine two weeks ago and I LOVE it. I'm thinking about getting one or two more.

But then I started wondering if you might want to avoid CR123 lights because of the upkeep cost (batteries). Maybe you'd prefer a nice AA light.

But in the end, I realized that for $50 you can get the Q3 and 2 rechargable RCR123s and a charger. End up with a brighter light and "guilt free lumens," as they say.

The only possible drawback to this set-up might be the runtime: if you want to always hours and hours of possible light with you, you'd have to carry some spare batteries.

Anyway, welcome and good luck with your choice. I find flashlightreviews.com has a lot of good info.