Regulated Luxeon Solitaire Li-Ion mod

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
A fellow CPFer sent me two Li-Ion AAA cells and a Mag Solitaire. "Do whatever you can" to make it a Luxeon light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A Li-Ion cell and a Luxeon can easily team up to make a DD light; add an aluminum slug, drill out the reflector, a little filing of the battery tube... it shouldn't be a difficult mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Sure enough, after I have done these, a powerful light was born.

<font color="red">However---</font>

A Li-Ion has a voltage range of 3.0-4.2V during regular use, and a TWOJ has an average Vf of ~3.4V (3.27-3.61), with a pretty low dynamic resistance. In a DD light, when the cell is hot-off-the-charger, the battery draw can be well over 1A; as the cell is discharged, the battery draw (i.e., the brightness) drops progressively and pretty rapidly.

In my prototype testing, the battery draw started at 1.3A and dropped to 400mA in just 15-20min (I didn't note down exactly how long, anyway it wasn't very long). The light was really an egg cooker at the initial 1.3A /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

<font color="blue">I got to put a regulator in---</font>

The MrAl's LDO driver is a good low part count CC regulator---But where to put it?

If I want to preserve the look and feel of a Solitaire, the functionality of its reflector, and the aluminum slug heat-sink underneath the Luxeon, the only space available for the regulator is maybe 1-2mm at the bottom of the heat-sink slug.

In other words, I need to squeeze the regulator into a ~6mm circle (including a rim of at least 0.5mm) and no more than 1mm high.

To make things more complicated, I have already epoxied the LS to the aluminum heat-sink slug when I did the DD prototype, and the (-) lead is permanantly connected to the slug by compression and epoxy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif I didn't want to risk ruining the emitter and try prying it off the slug in order to make the (-) lead insulated (which is required in MrAl's design). After some head-scratching /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I figured I could get around by using P-MOS FET and PNP transistors to have a common negative instead of common positive in MrAl's original design.

The board was hand-drawn and manually itched. It just wasn't economical to make a single custom mod through a commercial board house or use a PCB designing software.

Now comes the fun of soldering some insanely small parts---SOT-23 sized MOSFET is the only "large" component, and sizes go all the way down to 0402-sized resistors. Here is the result: A Luxeon emitter, a 5mm Nichia LED, and a penny were included for size reference.

Solitaire1.jpg

The wires were connected and the board was epoxied to the bottom of the slug:

Solitaire2.jpg

As usual, the opening of the Solitaire battery tube was enlarged to accomodate this plug, and the reflector was drilled for the LS.

In this particular mod, battery draw is ~450mA. It starts at 480mA with a freshly charged Li-Ion and goes down to about 400mA just before dropping out of regulation. Here is a runtime plot:

RunTime.jpg

The little light is really powerful for its size. It will easily outperform a typical 2xAA MiniMag with BB400 convertion:

Solitaire-beam1.jpg

And those "similarly sized" 5mm LED light, such as an Arc AAA, has no place to fight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Solitaire-ArcAAA1.jpg

Solitaire-ArcAAA2.jpg

Solitaire-ArcAAA3.jpg

The point when you see a significant drop in brightness is around 3.1V. In regular use, this is when you should recharge the cell. The last-trace-of-light comes around 2.6V. This is considered as the critically low point, but it is still above the damaging voltage of ~2.5V. This light design should be very safe for unprotected Li-Ion cells.

Overall I am very happy with the result. It would be nice if I can find a way to put in a switching buck converter to improve the efficiency. However, due to the extremely limited space, a linear CC regulator may be the only practical solution for a Solitaire mod.

Luxbright

Enlightened
Would certainly like to have one of the pill when its available to compare with your current Lux III pill.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
VERY nice mod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif LED_ASAP does it again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Is that a dime in your pic? :faints in awe:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great mod LED_ASAP! At over 400mA this one's a real powerhouse! Well done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

baylisstic,
a single NiMH will not supply enough voltage for this mod. For straight LDO regulators to be really effective (such as in this case) they need the battery voltage to be greater than the Vf of the LED. To be really efficient, the battery voltage should be only slightly higher than the required load voltage. A rechargeable Li-Ion is an ideal for this application.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice setup. It is interesting that so many small Lux III lights are coming in at 400 ish ma. After trying several times to go above this level, I have been surprised how hard it is to actually sustain (as in minutes of running) more light from a Lux III than when I ran at higher currents.

I can obtain "short bright flashes" with more current, but heat still seems to be the killer much above this.

Very nice work.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see you were able to pull off another mini luxeon light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Solitaire mods always seem to attract a lot of attention. I hear these will be for sale? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
Thanks for the praises and the interest to buy this mod. I will certainly add this mod to my custom modding services if there is enough demand. But I will need to find one of our lache gurus to make me a batch of aluminum heat-sink slugs first. For this particular one, I put a piece of aluminum rod into the jaws of my hand drill and ran it against a metal file in order to trim out the desired shape, then used a metal saw to cut out the sections, and used a sand stone to smooth out the surface. With a decent lache, one should be able to make 50 or 100 of the slug within minutes; with hand tools only, it took me over an hour /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif There is no way I do things this way again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Rossitron

Newly Enlightened
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

If you could fit a pic12f* into that space (bottom side?) with the POP2 firmware, you'd have a goldmine on your hands (not that you don't already, but more so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Wow, just wow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
sweetness.. that is really small.. my latest design using the same circuit is about 8mm diameter to fit inside the peak aaa light.. but there is a 'calling' for the solitaire version so i will be making a change to the design to make a mass-produced driver exactly for the solitaire.

I found a way to make 8mm slugs for a heatsink in a second each.. but have to work on the taller version shown here.

nice mod, the driver is very useful.

-awr

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
nemul said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/takeit.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so fast, nemul! This baby is MINE!!

Andrew, I am the one who contacted you about this circuit awhile ago for this and suggested it to LED_ASAP for this project (as I had no chance of building it myself!). Thank you for your help and pointers.

LED, when can I get my greedy little hands on this gem? Can't wait to try it out.