NG question

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
My experience with these are limited, and I am speaking purely off of information and replies I have recieved and viewed in my time spent here. More current to LED=More brightness but also a little less runtime, but you probably wont have to worry about that since the NGs have long runtimes to start with. Or someone correct me if I am wrong. I am a TRUE electronics idiot...

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Primary cells should work perfectly with either.
1000 will give more heat, less run time, but more light.

Should you decide to use re chargeables, the following might be of use.

I am using un protected r123s with a Wiz II solely for the reason of it LVC.
They say that the NG, either 750 or 1000 will suck the juice right out of a r123 until it hits 0 volts and by that time, your cell is damaged beyond repair.

So the trick to remember is. If you insist on using NG, then make sure to recharge the battery when it gets to approx 2.8 volts.

Even the so called 'protected cells' have their LVC set too low and some are around 2.5 and lower. I am told by the experts that this is too low.

Go carefully with r123s.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are NOT going to be using any sort of li-ion cells and want the maximum brightness with the greatest likelyhood of getting full regulation, I'd go for a NexGen667. Just order one with two .15 ohm resistors on it.

A NexGen will NOT regulate at 1A on a primary cell. The most that you will get is something around 750mA on a fresh cell. This is because the NexGen incorporates a "safe mode" that limits current draw to, I believe, 1.2A or so; and a boost converter will need to draw a lot more that 1.2A from a primary cell to achieve a 1A output.

The upside to the NexGen is that it generates almost no heat.

As things stand now, I'm not aware of any converter that will get 1A to a luxeon from a single primary cell. A 123 just can't muster that much current.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an OT NG question now that it appears the poster was answered. How does Vf affect the output on a NG converter?
Will a K bin have lower output and longer run time (as a generalization) than say a J bin?

Takifugu

Newly Enlightened
Hi Bogus1,

Assuming that the NG is in regulation, the current delivered to the led is the same regardless to the Vf of the Luxeon bin.
ie, NG 500mA will deliver 500mA whether it is a J bin or K bin Lux.

Assuming that the flux is the same, brightness should be about the same at a certain current.

Power consumed (Watts) = Current (Ampere) x Volt, therefore the higher the Vf, the more power consumed.

To answer your question,
The K bin and the J bin will have the same output but the J bin will have a longer runtime assuming that the flux is the same and the NG is in full regulation.

---- edit ----
Also, using the J bin would probably result in an increase in converter efficiency because the battery voltage will be closer to Vf than the K bin, although I don't have a clue of how much difference this will make.
---- end edit ----

Hope this clears you up.

Sorry for OT, just passing by /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Takifugu

Luna

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Anglepoise said:
Even the so called 'protected cells' have their LVC set too low and some are around 2.5 and lower. I am told by the experts that this is too low.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is too low for the current crop of graphite electrodes li-ions but perfect for the older coke style like sony used to use.

-Craig