Which driver for Luxeon III?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to build a couple of lights using 2D cells (3v), that would drive-to-spec a Luxeon III.

I think they run around 700mA...so, which step-up driver/converter will do this?

I know Wayne Y. makes great stuff, but I am unsure as to which driver would adequately neet my needs.

I was also considering "stacked" micropucks...but have no idea how many milliamps I will get...not to mention, how would you wire them--in series or parallel?

Thoughts?

Bob

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
For Micropucks, wire them parallel to achieve 700mA. Remember that Micropucks do not put out a constant current. The "feature" of this circuit is that its output will steadily drop, just like an incandescent, so that 1) you are warned of impending cell exhaustion and 2)reduced power demand will allow your light to run longer (the wannabe moon mode).

For stuff from Wayne, the NextGen converters are being touted as best for LuxIII.

Finally, there are the circuits from Georges80, but I have no experience with them.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
A pair of "stacked" micropucks - in parallel - will yield 700 or 800mA, depending on which model you use (350 or 400). LuxDrives has all sorts of configurations for multiple Micropucks.

If brightness tweakability with a pot is your thing, you might consider Taskled's Fatman (technical).

I don't know much about the Sandwich Shoppe's offerings. I've always had trouble piecing together their product line.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent!

The stacked micropucks might be my solution.
For ~$22 I can drive a LuxIII to spec. I know Wayne's stuff is great, but I really want to minimize assembly (my electronics knowlege stinks).

It seems odd that nobody makes a small-ish (smaller than Mag) 2-D w/Luxeon III driven-to-spec.
Should make 70-ish lumens for a very long time, and you could choose the optic/reflector for your needs.

I think Elektrolumens' Blasters were close, but the 30mm optic turned me off a bit.

Thanks for the info!

Bob

lamperich

Enlightened
i´am looking for a constant current regulation 700mA dimmable for example 3 level.

source should be 2 Rechargeables. 2,4V +/- 0,25V

Max input voltage 3,6v (fresh primarys) down to 2,1 (2,0V if possible) Volt whitout output changes. than rescue mode or better known as moon modus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

is something like this outside?

if yes flashlight based on 1xcr123a or 1x Panasonic BR-C or 2AA or 2C/D NiMH without overdischagred
could be posibble. That what my dreams are made of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

and no also a t binned lux 3 wont get 70 lumesn :-D

maybe round about 40-50 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to run the light at 700mA, either the NexGen or BadBoy will do. If you want to drive up to an amp, then go with a BadBoy. The only downside to the BadBoy is that it generates more heat than a NexGen and it is a bit less efficient, but in a Mag mod, that shouldn't matter much. Actually, for a Mag mod, you could just go with the BadBoy either way. For 700 or 1000mA. The BadBoy is also much less expensive.

Latest posts