3 watt luxeon in U and V brightness?

moses

Enlightened
Overseas now and bandwidth is very limited so pardon this basic question: Do white Luxeon 3 watters really come in V brightness?? Some one claims to have U and V brightness T ranked. Is this old news and are T ranked brightness no longer a big deal?

Curious.

Thanks in advance,
Moses

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard of V brightness Lux-IIIs. If there were any, I'm sure one would have found its way here on CPF.

Jeff

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Moses

Each "bin" encompass a range of values, and "T" has gone from "rare" to "reasonbly common". "U" bins are still very rare and so far, I have not been able to obtain them from Future even with regular calling. There are a few floating around the CPF.

One might infer that the "T" bins coming out today are statistically more likely to be at the higher end of the range, but I would be cautious about generalizing this to a particular purchase.

"V" is only available in Lux V, and occassionally, you can get ahold of "W" bins as well. (usually as stars)

The exception to this is in the RED and RED / ORANGE, which made some dramatic improvements recently, and are now in a new bin setup.

Just like in the microprocessor and DRAM business, power LEDs will continue their march toward being better, apparently improving a bin letter / year or so if history is a guide.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Well said Harry. I hear there there are a very few, rare, "sample" Lux3 V-bin's in Asia, though...

L

LITEmania

I think RED, RED/ORANGE is the most bright and efficient Luxeon, which is made of AlInGaP dies. Recently all the Red emitter of 1watt delivered to us shows R-Flux all.

Considering the die size of Lux-III Red is four times larger than the former 1watter, we can guestimate ; 39.8-51.7 lumen multiplied by 4 equals to 159.2-206.8 lumen.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Billson said:
Why in Asia? Where is lumileds based or are these "v" bins not from lumileds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the actual Luxeon factory is in Malaysia...so if one lives there, perhaps it might behoove one to get to know some of the factory employees.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

moses

Enlightened
Hmmmm.....Malaysia? Where in Malaysia. Just left there two days ago.

Anyway, so V is probably unobtainable then.... I'm checking around a bit.

Thanks for the quick discussions. Helpful.

Blessings,
Moses

djpark

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
[ QUOTE ]
Billson said:
Why in Asia? Where is lumileds based or are these "v" bins not from lumileds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the actual Luxeon factory is in Malaysia...so if one lives there, perhaps it might behoove one to get to know some of the factory employees.../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There are only 2 locations in the world Luxeons are produced -- California, US and Penang, Malaysia.

However, it is in a free trade zone meaning that it is treated as a foreign land as long as custom issues are concerned. We who stay on Malaysia have no chance to get hold of them unless....

BTW, Penang used to be (I guess it still is) called as 'Pearl of Orient' and it is a beautiful town. If you happened to be around, don't forget to visit there.

-- dj