Battery Recycling

caver

Newly Enlightened
Is there a place that recycles batteries? I know that places like Radio Shack will dispose of them properly and Circuit City will recycle rechargable batteries, but does anyone truely recycle all types of batteries?

My caving club collects all the used up batteries and we have several 5 gallon buckets full now. We hate to just dump them in the trash.

Gandalf

Enlightened
In my state, *every* place that sells batteries, is *required* to provide a recycling container for used batteries; except for car batteries, of course. So the local corner store has a bucket for used batteries. I would try calling your state government; after the heat that mercury containing bateries generated, to the point that all major alakaline battery mfgr's now make mercury free batteries, odds are there is a recycling program in your state. In my city, I can leave dead batteries at the curb, in a clear plastic bag, on 'recycling day' (every other Wed.) Usually, I just take them to work, and recycle them there.
Odds are, your state, county, or city government has some laws regading battery recycling. Probably take some phone calls to brain dead 'civil' servants, but you should be able to find the one guy in the whole state that actually knows how your (state, county, city) battery recycling program is run.
Nicads, of couse, contain heavy metals, as do lead acid gel cells. I think many batteries could go into the regular trash now, but somebody is smart enough to know that if tey allow that, all the nicads, etc., will go in the trash, too.
blush.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Seattle is supposed to be one of those "green", environmentally conscious cities, but I've never seen any facility, anywhere, for recycling used flashlight batteries. No boxes, no buckets, no bags, no converted sharps containers, no nothin.
frown.gif

Although I have accidentally flushed a battery down a toliet (a leaking "AA" cell that was placed in an ashtray and forgotten about until the astray was emptied), most of my dead batteries seem to end up in drawers & boxes; relatively few have actually made it in the regular garbage pickup.

So while I may not be recycling them for lack of recycling facilities, at least I'm keeping a majority of mine out of the garbage, and therefore, out of the landfill.
blush.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

If you want information on the experts of battery recycling, go to their web site at http://www.rbrc.org.

Some of you may know that the US government no longer allows batteries with Mercury to be manufactured, or imported into the US. That is why most batteries will say 'Contains 0% mercury' on them.

It is safe according to the US Government to dispose of your alkaline batteries in your household garbage, but the RBRC recognizes that there may still be a hazard to the environment, so they also recycle alkaline batteries.

Zbattery.com is a authorized recycling location for RBRC. We collect batteries for recycling and send them to RBRC for proper recycling. Anyone is more than welcome to send their NiCad, NiMH, Lithium, Alkaline, or Sealed Lead Acid batteries to us for recycling. We do PROPERLY recycle these batteries, and you can be sure your batteries are not harming the environment.

For more information, please contact us at 800-624-8681.

Bryan
Zbattery.com
[email protected]