Unhappy with my Gerber Trio, got rid of it!

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I've just sold my Trio which frankly didn't impress me that much. The matt anodising didn't last any better than the type 11 on my Minimags and the beam was distinctly blue with a noticeable 3 LED triangular pattern. The tailcap twist was not an obvious improvement over the bezel twist of the MM. Size and weight wise the Trio was too big and heavier than the MM.

What really bugged me in the end though was the lack of a lens over the LED's. Despite all the criticism's of Maglites once the AA version is converted to a LED (numerous options exist and I've got 3 different types) the light is almost indestructible and has loads of after market add ons as well as an excellent warranty. I concede that the build and apparent strength of the Trio is good but I just couldn't live with the issues I've already outlined.

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Torch

Newly Enlightened
I'm curious. What is the cost comparison between the Trio and a LED MM?

dougmccoy

Enlightened
There isn't really a comparison, the Trio can be bought for (approx)£18.00 while the cheapest MM with LED conversion kit is £30!

If you already have a MM then the cost is £18 v £20 for the LED conversion.

Doug

dim

Enlightened
With about as much overall output as a stock mini on a comparable flood setting but with NO doughnut hole and with a MUCH better color, the Gerber Trio is a very good, well built flashlight with eight hours of regulated runtime that costs just $20. I've reviewed the Trio HERE.

dim

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Dim

A fair and honest review. Most of the points I made have been acknowledged by you albeit with less of a negative viewpoint.

I concede at the price point it comes in at it is reasonably priced and better than many of its competitiors. However in true flashaholic tradition I've not made these comments without using and owning one. Accordingly I do feel qualified to give my own opinion on this product, of course your opinion is different from mine!

Doug

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Trio is a good light for people who need either an emergency light for use in the home or car or for people who need to light up close spaces, meaning they need flood and not throw.

A good alternative for us is a MM with a MJLED, and it actually has a little throw to it. Anything beyond the MJLED will bump up the total price quite a bit.