LED mod on a Magcharger

Makarov

Enlightened
Hi, first post here.
I own a Magcharger, and have been thinking about upgrading it. It's ten years old(it needs new batteries), and it has been my "bedstand-light" for some years now.
I want to put in a LED-lamp, and change the batteries to some that is longer lasting than the originals (Also, a original replacement batterypack will cost me approx 70 US$ here in Norway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif)

I bought the MinistarII for my Minimag, and is quite happy with that, so I have been looking at the MaxStar for my Magcharger.

What should I think about when I shop, are there any no-no's that I should consider?
What batteries; can I use Nimh or do I have to use NiCad's like the original pack?
Are there other LED-lamps to consider?
Should I consider changing my Lens?

I want to have a light with a high output(the 50 lumens of the MaxStar looks promising), and who'll last longer.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello makarov, welcome to CPF now watch your wallet get thinner and thinner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

First thing's first: the maxstar will not fit your magcharger, it's a Pr screw in not a bi pin like the mag lamp used in the magcharger.

I am far from the authority on mag's here, but my honest feeling is to not LED mod the MC (what we write for magcharger on CPF) It's in my opinion the best light they make. Nice bright White light, that the other non rechargeables don't seem to have. and since it's not a light
that any of the PR modules will fit, I pretty sure it would take a lot of
work to modify it for a PR base bulb. And if you like the way your MC throw's a beam really far, drop in LED's can't touch the throw of a MC

Instead, I would invest in a cheaper 2-4 D cell mag, and mod it. especially if you want to use a drop in like the maxistar.
I don't know much about the maxistar, but there is a few other drop in's. The "everLED" is real popular around here. most user's are pretty happy with them.

Do a search on google for D cell mag LED mods
and see if something catch's your interest.
Also go to http://www.flashlightreviews.com/ he has great review's of most popular led modules.

If your not dead set on modding your MC but want to improve it you can get a 1185 welsh allyn (SP) lamp
that really pump's up the output of thr MC.

As for your battery pack an non mag pack is available from several battery shop's online, that are as good or better. (look for Aero Nimh 1/2 D cell's)

My MC is 13/15 yr's old, and with the new bulb (lamp) it
is a monster!

So I would do those search's and see what you find that will
fit your need's. have fun! VDG

Timson

Enlightened
I'd definitely second what Voodoogreg said.

I love my LED Modded mags but the Magcharger is a different beast altogether and is so easily moddable for whopping performance. It would be such a shame to lose its uber-power potential by going LED.

A replacement battery pack and a superbulb will instantly triple its 'as new' performance for relatively little money.

If you want ultimate power you can fill the battery tube with 9 AA cells in a custom holder and go with the 1185 bulb mentioned above - this will give you 1000+ lumens (stock MC around 200 Lumens).

You can pick up replacement MC battery sticks pretty cheap from the US - try this place:
Click Here

Let us know what you decide to do - Everyone here will happily help you spend your money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim

Makarov

Enlightened
Hmmm, I see that I have a lot to learn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've been "into" lights all my life, but it has always been Maglites, because they were considered the best there was.
Later on I learned that there was other lights as well, like Surefire. (I actually won an auction for a NIB E2E Executive last night on Ebay, US $83.01 incl. shipping to Norway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

I've had several coin-sized LED's and are waiting for the newest Photon Freedom Micro now, just had to have the X2 brightness one. (my dad's gonna inherit the "old" Freedom)

So I'm really upgrading my lights now, and I'll top it of with the MC.

I've missed the fact that there's a difference between the bulbs of the ordinary D-cell Maglites and the MC, and I don't think that I want to go into any big modification yet.
But a 1185 bulb sound promising. I'll try google to see if I can find a retailer that sell's both batteries and the bulb.
Any links would be apriciated.

And I guess that I'm really in the wrong forum now(LED) so if a Moderator would be so kind to move it to a more appropriate thread I would be glad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, LED mods make the most sense for Mags that run on 2 or 3 alkaline cells, which tend to give lackluster output (especially 2 cells). A high-powered rechargeable incandescent flashlight should stay incandescent.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you guys like the 1185 over the 1160 WA bulb? I just put an 1160 in my MC based on another thread and it really cranks out the light.

-LT

Kevin Tan

Enlightened
Its the whos got a bigger stick syndrom...!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And welcome n hold on to ur wallet.....!!!!

For a MagCharger, I would recommend a change to nimh batt stick and a 1160 . Its a bit difficult to get a hi cap nimh 5x 1/2 D as the original is nicd. Heres a compatible nicd . Also u could try getting the new MC bulb. They have upgraded the bulb and its much nicer now. Its got a new packaging with red n blue instead of the old packaging with only red color.

Makarov

Enlightened
I see that the 1185 needs 9,6V and the 1160 needs 5V, guess I need a AA-pack to get the most out of 1185, but how does the 1160 work with a 6V pack?

Can I buy finished AA batterypacks for the Magcharger or do I make my own?
(I don't think that would be a problem as a friend of mine is an electrical engineer)

5.5$ for an welsh allyn bulb is alot cheaper than the LED that I wanted to buy, so I don't think I'm gonna ruin myself on this project /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, Got my new Photon FREEDOM micro X2 today, it's bright!

scudinc

Enlightened
The 1160 will give you twice the light of the regular MagCharger bulb, and an upgraded battery pack could give you nearly the same runtime as the original.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fom what i learned the 1160 works best with the stick, upgraded or not.Like scudnic said it is a real barn burner
Infact I use it only on occasion, The stock newer bulb can still throw father then i can focus my eyes. VDG

Timson

Enlightened
Makarov,

You can get a 9xAA battery carrier Here from Fivemega. They're a real work of art and well worth the money in my opinion.
(This would be for use with the WA1185 lamp)

Personally if I were you though, I'd get a replacement battery stick and the WA1160 lamp - I'm sure you won't be dissappointed - fantastic light.

Tim

mckevin

Enlightened
While I'm the farthest thing from an authority, I couldn't be happier with the way my MC85 turned out.
Get a pack from http://cheapbatterypacks.com. A 9 cell pack with CBP1650 cells works great. You will need to put ends (robbed from an old "D" cell) on it, or have someone do it for you.
The bulbs are readily available from http://www.light-edge.com .
There is a great thread here about how to modify the stock charger to work with the new pack.
It all adds up to a pretty astonishing, relatively inexpensive light.

Makarov

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Timson said:
Makarov,

Personally if I were you though, I'd get a replacement battery stick and the WA1160 lamp - I'm sure you won't be dissappointed - fantastic light.

Tim

[/ QUOTE ]
I see that there's some discussion about meltdowns with the larger bulbs (1185), is that a problem with the WA1160 as well?

wquiles

Flashaholic
Makarov,

I agree with my fellow CPF's members. The MC is NOT the ideal platform for an LED mod. It is, as they said, a GREAT platform for "simple" mods, the 1160 bulb being my favorite.

Although I did try the 1185 bulb with my MC body, I can tell you that it is not worth it due to the melting of the bulb holder and light damage on the reflector after only 10 minutes of continued use.

Here is how I see it:

1185 Pros: Insanely bright and beautiful WHITE light. Does not get any better for the size/weight. If somedoby is not impresses with this package they are simply blind already!
- You don't have to buy a new body for this mod. The MC can use the 9AA battery back with no mods.
- Don't need a fancy aluminum reflector, as the metal reflector is "adequate" for this mod.
- Don't need a new glass lens - the MC already comes with a glass lens.
1185 Cons:
- Need custom batter holder: $35. Cheaper battery holders have much higher resistance in them and will not get the 1185 to be as bright as it could be, plus they could actually melt!. If you are going to go with this mod, get the appropriate battery holder!
- Way, way too hot for the factory bulb holder. You would have to replace it with a new holder: not worth the expense and hastle. Most people don't report this failure mode becuase they use it for short burst to impress others (as I have done as well!), but for a real working light it will not last long.
- Metal reflector is very thin and WILL get damaged slowly from the intense heat from the 1185 bulb. As directly above, with short bursts, you will probably not notice the damate right away.
- Need to modify the MC charger to charge the 9AA battery pack. Easy to do and cheap to do, but yet another mod required.
- Very short battery life due to the very high current draw from the 1185 bulb. Again, not a practical light - mostly great to impress others /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1160 Pros:
- Very bright. Great improvement over the stock bulb
- Uses the factory battery pack
- Uses the factory MC charger - no mods required
- no melting of the bulb holder

1160 Cons:
- Not as bright as the 1185
- Batteries last less with the 1160 compared to the factory bulb, but significantly longer than the 1185.

I fixed my melted MC85 and I am now just using the 1160 bulb (becomes an MC60 in our lingo!). I am VERY happy with my "turbo" light now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Will

Makarov

Enlightened
Hmm, as long as I won't have a "meltdown" of my MC with a 1160 I think that I'll go for the MC60 mod and a new batterypack. Thanks for all the advice.

Enter shoppingmode now...

Latest posts