New Peak Matterhorn is AMAZING!

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
I'm starting this thread partly because the only thread I could find about the new Peak Matterhorn was one where the title said it was disappointing. I find my new Matterhorn to be ANYTHING but disappointing!

I received a few days ago a new Ultra-Power 3 LED Matterhorn AAA and it is fantastic! The Peak is at LEAST 3 times brighter then my Arc AAA. In fact, I would put it up against most 2D cell incandescents. It probably wouldn't throw as far, but for normal use the light is far superior.

It's brighter then my 3 LED, 3AAA Princeton Tec Aurora headlamp!

I have not seen any of the problems with the finish as I have read in other reviews, nor do I have any of the tool marks or dings. Mine is as perfect as I could ask for. Besides, I didn't buy it to use as jewelry.

I work on computers at a university for a living and spend a lot of time crawling under desks and wanting to use both hands in dark places. I have found that the largest size of heat-shrink tubing found in the packs of the stuff at Radio Shack fit very snugly over the end of the AAA size light. I keep the butt end covered with about 1/2 inch of the stuff so I can hold the light in my teeth comfortably. The black finish matches well enough that you almost can't tell it's there unless you look closely.

I've been carrying mine around, bare, in my pocket, with various amounts of loose change, for almost a week now and so far there is not a scratch in the finish. I fully expect this to change, but I still find it impressive.

I also like the amount of spill light that the new head design provides. It's a very usable light.

I know these 3LED Ultra-Power AAA lights are not rated for a very long run time, but I typically use mine for just a few minutes at a time. And for the trade off in brightness... I'll happily keep a few AAA's stashed around for emergencies.

Because the heads are interchangeable, I'm now tempted to buy an N size body just to have a truly tiny light that is this bright.

So, I love my Matterhorn, can you tell?

-Brian

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shouldnt have read this thread.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very interesting indeed. I have a 3LED Matterhorn "old style" high power (snow), and am considering a "new style" ultra power (Pocket Style). I wish Quickbeam (or someone) would do a review and a throw/output measurement, so I could decide if it was worthwhile.

Also, have you tried the ultra power on NiMhs? If so, impressions?

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm holding out for one with those new Nichia led's like the latest Photon Freedom uses.

Donovan

Enlightened
Like was mentioned before I wish there was a full in depth review of new Peak lights instead of the old. And I wish the reviews were of specific lights.

Quesion: I assume you got the "snow" led? Does it have the blue (angry as some call it) hotspot like most 5mm leds? It would be great to have a small led light that has an even color beam!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree! The old review doesn't provide the usual "throw" and "total illumination" numbers, so it's difficult for me to gage how my Kilimanjaro Hi Output would compare against contenders.

[ QUOTE ]
Donovan said:
Like was mentioned before I wish there was a full in depth review of new Peak lights instead of the old. And I wish the reviews were of specific lights.

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
Donovan - I do have the "snow" version and there is absolutely no "angry" blue hotspot in the beam. This was one the the things that really stood out to me when comparing it to my Arc AAA - The Arc has quite a pronounced blue hotspot (it's not a "P" however, so that's to be expected).

The beam looks very similar to the beam from my Arc LSH-P except not as bright. Actually it might have a slightly larger spot.

AFAustin - I did stick a NiMH AAA in it just briefly to compare the brightness. It was in a dimly lit room and the Alkaline I was comparing it to had been used for a total of less then 5 minutes. So the test was not ideal, but I could not tell a marked difference in brightness.

I know that it should be dimmer on the NiMH since it's only putting out 1.2 volts, but in my short test I could not tell the difference.

I didn't put a lot of effort into it because I don't think I will use NiMH's in my Matterhorn since I'm using it as an EDC. I'm afraid I'll have a week where I don't use it and then need it and it'll be dead.

I'm sorry I don't have the wherewithal to write a more technical review. All I can say is that my Arc AAA used to be my all-time favorite EDC flashlight, but this new 3 LED Peak is brighter, whiter, nicer looking (I like the black) and basically just "more awesomer".

The only downside is that if a real emergency hit it does not have a terribly long runtime. But if you love flashlights you can't go wrong for $40.

-Brian

PS. Contrary to how it might sound, I don't work for Peak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GuyZero

Newly Enlightened
Donovan - I do have the "snow" version and there is absolutely no "angry" blue hotspot in the beam. This was one the the things that really stood out to me when comparing it to my Arc AAA - The Arc has quite a pronounced blue hotspot (it's not a "P" however, so that's to be expected).

The beam looks very similar to the beam from my Arc LSH-P except not as bright. Actually it might have a slightly larger spot.

AFAustin - I did stick a NiMH AAA in it just briefly to compare the brightness. It was in a dimly lit room and the Alkaline I was comparing it to had been used for a total of less then 5 minutes. So the test was not ideal, but I could not tell a marked difference in brightness.

I know that it should be dimmer on the NiMH since it's only putting out 1.2 volts, but in my short test I could not tell the difference.

I didn't put a lot of effort into it because I don't think I will use NiMH's in my Matterhorn since I'm using it as an EDC. I'm afraid I'll have a week where I don't use it and then need it and it'll be dead.

I'm sorry I don't have the wherewithal to write a more technical review. All I can say is that my Arc AAA used to be my all-time favorite EDC flashlight, but this new 3 LED Peak is brighter, whiter, nicer looking (I like the black) and basically just "more awesomer".

The only downside is that if a real emergency hit it does not have a terribly long runtime. But if you love flashlights you can't go wrong for $40.

-Brian

PS. Contrary to how it might sound, I don't work for Peak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Grubbster

Enlightened
I just got my new Matterhorn today. It is a high power stainless head on a black lug body. I like it a lot better than the brass one I got a few weeks ago. The stainless makes for a better reflector than the brass or black finish. The brass head puts out a yellow tint in the spill. With the stainless, you don't get that. I think it may be brighter than the brass even though the brass is a ultra power. I think I like it! I'll have to play with it some over the next few nights.

freefall8

Newly Enlightened
After reading this post, I bought the ultra-power stainless head, black lug body, and pocket style (no lug) body. The package arrived today, and I am very pleased.

The stainless head provides ample light reflection, and the the black aluminum bodies keep the weight down.

Overall, it's a nice light.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
YES It's Amazing... See These Pictures .. for those who havent seen them yet...

And YES No ANGRY Blue

Here's My Review on the AAA 3 LED Maternorn....
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=988312&fpart=all
It's Hardly been a day or so.. and I am Loving this Beauty... Slim, Trim, Small, Bright & Blonde /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Some of the Pictures pulled out from reviews page...
001_DCP_4458b.jpg

003_DCP_4449b.jpg

005_DCP_4453b.jpg

006_DCP_4460b.jpg

And Finally!!!....Night time Beam Shot... its about 4 Feet from the Wall..
007_DCP_4461b.jpg

Left is Photon Freedom with FRESH Set of batteries ... (see the Angry Blue) .... and on Right... Peak's 3 LED Matterhorn ...
To My eyes... it's 4 - 6 times Brighter than Photon Freedom... and must be at least 2 Times Bright than the FredomMAX !...

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Calling QuickBeam! Calling QuickBeam! Flashlight Reviews does such a great job -- we are lost without your prophetic analyses!

I believe his old reviews of the PEAKs are for their STANDARD Power models, not the later Hi-Power models.

If he could pry some newer Ultra-Power versions from PEAK, it would be really neat to see how the Ultra-Powers stack up against both the old Std. Powers and the Hi-Powers (and the old Arcs) -- with Alkaline batteries AND Lithiums -- for Output, Throw, and Run-times.

Got your work cut out for ya there, pardner.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
damm now I'm going to have to get one! My new Photon Freedom kicks butt and the Peak kicks it's.

AgaBoogaBoo

Newly Enlightened
Haha, I may just have to get this Matterhorn! How do I decide between 1 LED and 3 LED models?

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
High Runtime(10 - 25 Hrs), GO for 1 LED Version.... High Brightness & 4 - 8 Hrs Runtime ... go for 3 LED

Note the above times are on Lithium cells ...

powerfuldark

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AgaBoogaBoo said:
Haha, I may just have to get this Matterhorn! How do I decide between 1 LED and 3 LED models?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the 3 led UP SS Matterhorn, and although I'm no expert, it's an impressive light.

dtsoll

Enlightened
When you order directly from peak, how long is it from ordering to delivery??? I may have to have one of these someday, sounds like a great light!! Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif