What to do w/KL1?

Analog

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up a new SF E2e and accessory KL1-3Watt LED head tonight. Installed the KL1-3Watt head, and am very dissappointed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif The beam is square, and lots of artifacts in the sidespill. The store had both the KL1-3Watt and KL1-1Watt, I picked the 3. Should I go back and exchange for the KL1-1Watt? Is there a difference in beam style, brightness, or efficiency? My objective was a round beam w/o artifacts. Or should I try a modder to put a reflector and flat lens in this head? I would like to reach a decision soon for the benefit of the retailer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can obtain a 3rd-generation KL1 that looks like the one mounted on this E1e:

e1e-kl1-2.jpg

Grab 'em while you can!!

Otherwise, modding the 4th-generation KL1 (the one you have) is going to be difficult. However, if you want a smooth, perfect flood, try the F04 beamshaper. The difference is simply amazing.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
If you can get the 3rd Gen like KevinL posted send it to CHOP to mod.....the spot and side spill are awesome with the turned down McR20 reflector and luxeon swap...... best thing I did with my KL1 head.

Hey KevinL....I just got a KL1 SG for my E1e SG and E2e SG....you are so right, they are really COOL. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Aloha

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a 3rd-gen with high dome there is hardly any need to mod it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The drawback to the KL1-SG is the poor beam quality stock, but I am sure that Chop took care of that for you and yes, those are beautiful lights!

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be cheaper to get the older style KL1. Modding the newer style one will end up costing you about $100 for the KL1 and all the mod parts.

Better off getting a KL4 head. Bright, powerful wall of light!

Jeff

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that I'm starting, or continuing, to sound like a broken record, but I'm not too crazy about the new KL1s. Although I can appreciate the technological advances that produced the optic used in the new KL1, I think that the beam is not even less useful than it was with the 3rd gen KL1s.

I'd take the 4th gen back and get the 3rd gen, if you can. Just check it to make sure that it has a high dome emitter in it and also check out the tint. If you like the tint, then go for it. All you'll really need to do is to crack it open and drop a 17mm reflector into it. This will get you the beam that you are looking for.

Of course, there are other possibilities for the 3rd gen KL1, which would include swapping the emitter, if you choose to, and increasing the current to the LED. If you're looking to a dependable, emergency, go to light that will run for a LONG time on a pair of 123s, I'd leave the bias stock.

cslinger

Enlightened
These new generation L1/KL1s are designed for throw and they do a very good job of this IMHO. Personally I think your best bet is foot the 12 bucks for a F04 beamshaper. My reasoning is that the beamshaper really turns the L1/KL1 into a mini L2/L4 as far as flood pattern goes while retaining the ability to have a long throwing light by simply pulling off the shaper. The F04 really makes a spectacular close range difference.

My two cents.

Chris

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The newer KL1s do throw fairly well, but they are far from being any sort of throw king. A modified 3rd gen KL1 will have a tad bit less throw than the new KL1 (assuming like biases), but it will have a very nice sidespill AND you'll still be able to use the beam shaper if you choose to.

The newer KL1 runs at about 500mA and the older KL1s ran at about 350mA.

attowatt

Enlightened
OK now i am confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I JUST purchased an E1L ( 3watt) flashlight because the KL1 conv kit(looks exactly like KevinL's) I purchased a week ago seems very dim, (1 watt ?)

Now, if I understand correctly I should return my E1L and modify my KL1 conversion head ?

Please help me to understand and see the light

Jim

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boy,can you compare it to another light youo consider brighter, but in the same lumen spec?

Even most people who don't like the beam of the new KL-1, i don't think would call it dim.
It's bright white, throw's pretty far. Very pronounced spot like beam that does open up as it throws out.

I wonder if you got a bad one,or something, I got 3 new
KL-1's, one being a E1L. I tried a older KL-1 that seemed dim, but your E2L is the newest KL-1 Do you have the light yet? VDG