Why hasn't anyone made a sub c led torch?

Aluraeo

Newly Enlightened
Why hasn\'t anyone made a sub c led torch?

Well I may not be as experience in torches as almost all the members in this community but I wonder why hasn't anyone thought of powering torches off a rechargable sub c nimh cell. It being 42.5mm long 22mm in diameter and currently having a nominal capacity of 3800mah now. to compare 2 123a batts each having the nominal capacity of 1000 mah running at 3volts to 2 sub c rechargable cells. I will times the mah
by the voltage, though not a perfect comparism due the the inefficiencies of power regulating chips. we will get; For 2 123a cells 3 * 2 * 1000 = 6000 however for 2 sub c cells it is 2 * 1.2 * 3800 = 9120 which is more then 1.5 times the figure even in factoring the approximate 80% eff of a regualting chip it will still provide longer run times. The out put of the sub c cell can easily with stand 30 amps though in rc car usage it can hit 50 amps and above. It can be charged safely at 4.5 amps meaning charging time is less then an hour. Hence it is better then any pila rechargable cell. Though it is wider then most conventional ''mini'' torch cells, it is still very small in diameter and its length is shorter then an AA cell. 85mm for 2 cells vs 100mm for 2 aa cells around 9.5mm longer then a 123a cell. So pardon me for asking, hope I didnt ask a stupid question as I'm extremely new in the world of led lighting and am currently taking it up as a hobby. I only own a L4 and xm-3 at the moment an am thinking of getting an aleph le 2 with 2* 123a . However I am wonder about the aluminum quality of the torch, I have back ground in rc car racing and I realise the alloy type of aluminum is very important to the hardiness of the light for example the xm-3 I have is made up of very soft al alloy which dents easily, the best would be the 7 or 2 series which nobody seems to use due to its cost and most use 6 series alloy though chemically more resistant to corrosion, rather soft. It doesnt really matter as now torches are hard anodised protecting them from corrosion but if the aluminum is soft even hard anodizing won't prevent dents, does any one have any views on the battery issue and the aleph hardiness pls enlighten me. Thanks for your time. God Bless CPF

BBL

Enlightened
Re: Why hasn\'t anyone made a sub c led torch?

I was asking myself the same for some time now.

The Sub-C cells seem ideal for that purpose... available, not expensive, rechargeable, small, high capacity, high current.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking something similar the other day when handling an RC pack.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Surefire L7 with B90 battery stick is based on Sub-C cells. They use NiCad though, not NiMH.

One of my favorite lights is based on a stick of six Sub-C high rate cells because its incandescent bulb pulls over 4 amps from the power pack. SubCs really shine when it comes to high current draws, something that LEDs don't really demand at the moment.

It would not be hard to design a LED light around Sub-Cs though. Usually we mod Maglites rather than 'roll our own' housing from scratch, it's quite possible to fit SC's into a Mag housing.

Aluraeo

Newly Enlightened

Man it would be real cool if I could get an aleph powered by sub c's wonder if a custom order could be made

TRC

Newly Enlightened

At the risk of stating the obvious, why not use the Streamlight Stinger as the basis for a LED mod. It runs on 3 sub C cells, and packs can be made up using NiMH cells.

The flashlight is relatively small, as well.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

If button-top SubC cells were commonly available, you might be onto something.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

perhaps the battery companies know they would make a good battery and more efficient and cut into their C and AA profits.

Aluraeo

Newly Enlightened

Sub c technology has been improving at a rate equal to aa technology due to the demand from the rc hobby at present the highest rating aa cell is 2500mah and the highest rating subc cell is 3800mah if you were to measure the volume taken up my the cell vs the capacity these two are the highest. Not only that sub c cells are widely avaliable at any rc shop and on the internet two sub c cost only around 10 us dollars .

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like SubC very much!!! why? well it's just a bit larger than AA so a longer flashlight isn't out of place, but yet smaller than C, and VERY close to the same capacity. You can get 3,000mah SubC's, or probably better now. I think they are a great size.

So yes, I'm with ya!

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Aluraeo said:
Sub c technology has been improving at a rate equal to aa technology

[/ QUOTE ]

My first SubC cells were 1.2Ah when AAs were 0.5Ah. But then lectrodes changes and most cells except SubC ones changed to spongy electrodes which were good for about half the capacity gain since then (the second half is from changing from NiCd to NiMH).
So AA cells have now a bit more than 4 times the capacity and SubCs about three times (data was much more honest 30 years back).
When listing the features, you should list 'high power' first, this is what they actually optimized for.
A sponge electrode SubC cell could easily have 4.5-5Ah, but nobody needs that.
So, a SubC cell torch would be nice for a very small high power (and short runtime) torch...

BTW, which cells do you have with 3.8Ah?