• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Recommend retaining ring pliers, please

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to buy a set of retaining ring pliers. My immediate need it to remove the internal retaining ring from a few Costco 2AA Luxeons. However, I want a set that I won't have to replace or augment if a different need arises.

For the Costco, I need a model that can remove an internal ring that is about 28mm across. Other than that, I'm lost: 0 offset vs 45 vs 90 degrees; pin thickness; sprung vs. not sprung, and so on.

I'd like to spend no more than $40 for a used kit, so you can recommend a kit that sells new for up to $100. Should I focus on a set that can handle internal rings only? It seems that most sets bundle pliers that handle internal and external rings.

I see models by MAC Tools, Matco, OTC Owantanno, Proto, Wright, S-K, Milbar, Snap-On, Horizon Tool (for the US Government), and more.

Help!

CNC Dan

Enlightened
Just get a few pairs of cheap needle nose pliers at the dollar store.

Grind/file the tips to fit your retaining rings.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
There are many available. Many of them are adjustable so they can be used on internal as well as external rings. Some require that you dis-assemble and reassemble to switch from one mode to another.

I have Wilde catalog number 1234 (no kidding). It has replaceble tips so yo ucan use straight or bent. It comes with 5 sets of tips in various sizes and shapes. It converts from one mode to the other by pushing on some pins. No tools required. It only handles 1/4 to 2 inches.

Daniel

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I just bought one yesterday from Harbor Freight Tools for $4.99. It comes with interchangeable tips at 45degrees, 90 degrees and straight. The package sez it works from 3/8" to 2" internal and external rings. I tried it on the ring and reflector inside my QIII and it works great.