Alternative to Windows File Explorer ???

jtice

Flashaholic
I was wondering if there was a good alternative to the Windows File Explorer,
somethign with alittle more options, better display.

Never really heard of one before, got me to wondering /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

~John

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You can use other programs to explore your hard drive but a lot of function of windows file system is bolted into windows and not easily replaced in its entirety. Ztree and windows commander/total commander are two programs that come to mind.

XFlash

Enlightened
Try Ontrack's Powerdesk Pro, excellent program to replace windows file explorer

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
In the days of MSDOS, XTree was good. But dunno what happened to it since Windows came about.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember win3.11 file manager. Didn't it have dual panes? I liked it a lot better than File exploiter.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
IsaacHayes said:
I remember win3.11 file manager. Didn't it have dual panes? I liked it a lot better than File exploiter.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I used Win3.11 for a few years and I got to like their File Manager (they hadn't started calling it Explorer yet). It wasn't as flexible in terms of being able to offer thumbnail previews of picture files, but the dual-pane browsing was very useful.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used win3.11 for 4 years at least. 95 for, well I don't want to say.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But yes I think it had multiple pane views. Like Window --> New Window Or simalar... And it had un-delete functions something that's been missing for years. Now we have a recyle bin that doesn't really undelete anything. Remeber having to specify the first Letter of the file name when un-deleteing? Theres' been times when I emptied the recyle bin and needed to undelete later but had no means...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I used a program a long time ago in the dos days called arcmaster. It was a dual paned window and allowed easy copying/moving/archiving functions using hotkeys. I haven't found anything near as intuitive as it with decent hotkey combinations. I use the program still at times but since it doesn't support long file names or later versions of archiving internally it is obsolete.