I have the ASP Triad >>>>>

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know of an LED replacement for the stock bulb ??? I would love to get one with decent light output and longer runtime than the stock one, which is said to only last about 1 hour with the 2 3volt lithium ion cells. Thanks for any info and help. God Bless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rikvee

Enlightened
What you have there, is the furthest throwing 2x CR123 light I know of (not often mentioned on CPF).
I use it for picking out housenumbers from my car in dimly lit streets. As such it is unique.
An LED replacement for similar lights (like bugoutgear's led drop-in for the Surefire G2) tend to cost close to the whole new price of the light.
For the best value, both the Nuwai Q3 (single CR123), or the new Streamlight single 3W LED Pro Polymer (4AA) are complete lights that cost less than an LED replacement would, AND they may have better beam qualities as well.
hope this is useful, greetings from downunder!

nightshade

Enlightened
Totally agree with Rikvee, superb and underappreciated light. Just isn't a "in" light around these parts. I use this light for looking down elevator shafts, ceiling plenums, etc. Killer throw, I like the ergonomics as well.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one as well, electroless nickel,just before they switched to external focus. Great light when I need throw. There are so many other good LED lights that cost less than a mod; I won't ever convert mine. Besides no LED yet will out throw it but then I always have more than one light on me and at least one of these has throw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-LT

nightshade

Enlightened
Lunal Tic, the nickle finish is, to me, the most attractive finish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Probably the most durable as well. I always end up with red. Red always ends up in clearance sales it seems. The lamp life with the Triad 1 in my experience is very good.
Last I checked, almost a year ago, the internal focus is still available from ASP. One can call ASP direct at: (800) 236-6243

moraino

Enlightened
My converted Triad was easily converted. It has it own PILL. The hard part was the barrel enlargement to accomodate the 18650 Li-Ion. The throw is as good as the Incan version.

I converted it to 18650 because I have tons of them and the Pila 168S wasn't available at that time. Now with so many good LED lights out there, I don't think it's worth the time and effort to do so unless you are tired of the gradual dimming of the incan light.

Henry

rikvee

Enlightened
...just to update myself I checked the throw of the ASP Triad 'TacLite' against a Surefire G2 with a 9v P90 globe driven by two (unprotected) 4.2v 700mAh R123 cells, pretty much the brightest 2 x 123 light I know.

The ASP Triad still won. it throws 20-30% further!

The other light it beats is a VX1T Lux5 driven by a Taskled CC5WB 1000mAh driver, running of 5 123 batteries (16v) in a Mag 3C mod, and that was put together especially for throw!

Both the 3C mod (nice white) and the souped-up G2( warmer yellow) give more light pointed at the ceiling (my "integrating sphere"), but for sheer tight focus, the ASP wins!

I got mine from Floyd Hacker who is excellent to deal with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif.

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
Everyone thanks for your replies and help. As you can see I am still a NEWBIE and still learning from everyone. I read the replies and do not know what a TWAK LS and TH0K is. The reason I was thinking of replacing the stock bulb with a LED is that I have the TRIAD light connected to an ASP AirWeight Baton that I use when I go jogging at night, and I want something that will last a little longer battery-wise and also be a little more rugged in the event I need to use the baton. I do not want the bulb breaking or blowing on me when I really need it. Thanks again for all of your help and info. God Bless.

rikvee

Enlightened
They are types of Luxeon LEDS, 'T' bins are the current ones, 'U' is about to happen (coupla years ago we were at 'Q', and 'R').
To figure out all the differences, just keep reading CPF, it's all part of the fun!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The ASP Taclite (Triad) Internal focus model is one of the three longest-throwing commercially available 2x123 lights, along with the TACM III and Pelican PM6. (I posted a detailed review a while back but couldn't get the link to work).

I don't mod my PM6's because they are state of the art in their category and I have other excellent LED lights. However, one of the first and most interesting of the PM6 mods was the McGizmo/Mr Bulk "McModule" which was a formidable light even by today's standards.

Brightnorm

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
Brightnorm or anyone else that has the ASP Triad or in the know, do you know or think that the BUG OUT GEAR "Drop in 3Watt" LED module will work in the ASP Triad ??? Again thanks for any info and help. God BLess.

Seth

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JDELUNA said:
The reason I was thinking of replacing the stock bulb with a LED is that I have the TRIAD light connected to an ASP AirWeight Baton that I use when I go jogging at night, and I want something that will last a little longer battery-wise and also be a little more rugged in the event I need to use the baton. I do not want the bulb breaking or blowing on me when I really need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey... relax! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the TRIAD was made as a baton-light.

So it is one of the very few lights which have a bulb-holder that is surrounded by rubber, making it shock-proof.

Bulb will not blow, even if you let the flashlight drop on concrete from above waist-height, which happened more than once to my TRIAD...

Seth

Latest posts