Xenon vs. Luxeon... What I found out

sniper

Enlightened
My Direct Drive 3D Mag Light modded with a TVIL emitter is great! Lots of brightness, throw, great color, some sidespill, with greater ruggedness and run time than the stock light. It is basically a spotlight with a VERY pretty beam. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

But I had this brand new 3D Mag Light just sitting in a drawer. I had heard that the Xenon bulbs were not only brighter than the Krypton standard bulb, but also gave an increase in run time, and longer bulb life over the stock light. Looking through my flashlight stuff, I came up with three Maglite Xenon bulbs. So I figured, "Why not?" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif (Does this sound like Flashaholism run rampant, or what?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

With fresh batteries, the Xenon is somewhat brighter than the Lux III at all ranges, but they are both BRIGHT, and outdo the standard Mag bulb.

At 100+ yards, the Xenon bulb, which is able to focus tighter than the TVIL, is brighter, but not by a great deal. I think the nature of the light source may play a role here.
My conclusions: If you want an inexpensive, brighter 3D Mag, gaining a small amount of run time, bulb life, for minimal expenditure, a Xenon bulb is the way to go.

On the other hand...for better spill and color, and very creditable viewing at longer ranges, the LUX III mod is great, not to mention more rugged with better run time. And, did I mention that puttting one of the Mods together is a real kick? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Penguin

Enlightened
test them agian in the fog, you'll clearly see that incandecents are still a step above luxeons when it comes to outdoor/throw applications.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Xenon in my 2 D Mag, quite bright until the bulb blows, I prefer the lux-111 only as it is more reliable
when I realy need it. Most of my lights now have been modded with Lux-111's

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sniper said: But I had this brand new 3D Mag Light just sitting in a drawer. I had heard that the Xenon bulbs were not only brighter than the Krypton standard bulb, but also gave an increase in run time

[/ QUOTE ]
I do realize that the MagLite web site seems to spec the Xenon bulbs with longer burntimes.

But unfortunately this is not so.

I was also surprised enough to have posted a query about this -

Xenon has better burntime than Krypton? (MagLite)

the situation was eventually clarified by the e-mail response I received from MagLite -
reproduced in the last post (currently) in that thread - direct linked HERE

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
UnknownVT said:

I do realize that the MagLite web site seems to spec the Xenon bulbs with longer burntimes.

But unfortunately this is not so.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/awman.gif
Hmmmmm...the Admen strike again, huh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif It seemed like a bit of a stretch, but what do I know? Ah well, I did want to use the extra TVIL I have hanging around. But some practical experience with Xenon bulbs will be good. Now to see if the Xenons will remain as bright as the Lux III as the batteries are used. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif Until next time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had any problems with my LED lights in the fog, although I tend to use yellowish LEDs in my larger mods. Maybe the tint has something to do with it.

On a whole, LEDs have attracted me for a few reasons. First you get a very reasonable (if not high performance) output. Especially in smaller lights. Second, you don't have to worry about keeping replacement lamps with you. That's just one less thing to worry about. Third, the runtime with LEDs is insane, compared to incands. Not to mention that the output of regulated lights is flat.

I still have my rechargeable hand helds and such, but when it absolutely, positively has to work, and for a long time, I always grab an LED light.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I likewise replaced the stock krypton bulbs on my 5D mags with the xenons, and noticed a nice improvement in both throw and beam tint and shape. The xenons were just a few $ from Brightguy, and so a real bargain IMO. The Mags are low tech and low brow, I know, I know, but it's not easy finding something (reasonably priced) that outthrows them.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AFAustin said: The Mags are low tech and low brow, I know, I know, but it's not easy finding something (reasonably priced) that outthrows them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right, couldn't agree more -
if it wasn't for their "bad rep" here - I'd say unconditionally that they were bargains - -
as it is they are just
bargains /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I still haven't upgraded my MagLite 3D to LED yet -
because the thought of $20+ to $40 - a price more than the flashlight itself kind of runs against the whole "economical" grain....

Anyone tried the LEDCORP JM45-3PR-W (linked) 3 Cell
PR2 Base LED Replacement Bulb for flashlights @ $12.95 ?

LED Museum has Reviewed it but I can't figure out how bright this replacement bulb is compared to the 3w, and (overdriven) 1w Luxeon replacements like the everLED and Diamonds of this world.

(in the review Craig said it draws 55mA - which seems very low - even allow for 100% efficiency, with 3-cells, that's 4.5v x 0.055A
= 0.2475 watts.........

Craig's beamshots seem significantly brighter than 1/4 watt.....

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
AFAustin said:
The Mags are low tech and low brow, I know, I know, but it's not easy finding something (reasonably priced) that outthrows them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely! Low tech is not a bad thing. I find my needs can be easily met by relatively low tech things like MiniMags with MJLEDs, or the 26,000MCD leds, Both of which improve on the original MM. Or my 3D Lux III mod, which is bright as the ****ens.
Its main use to date is chasing my grandson through the house, yelling "ALIEN LIIIGHT! (Just because he enjoys it, you understand.)/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
If it works well, and is reliable, all the better. But: the Ledcorp replacement for 3 D Mags looks really interesting, as does the Opalec deal at Brightguy, and the prices will not break the bank, either. I'll probably order some, just to see what is what.

I have had more fun messing around with the MJLEDs, and making my modded 3 D.

If the forum members can afford LiONHEarts, Surefires, Barbolights, Alephs, Mag 85s, etc., More power to 'em.

My needs are modest: fairly long run time, bright, a reasonable amount of throw, operation on relatively inexpensive, commonly available batteries, and reliability.

Sort of pedestrian, I know, but for money spent, fun had and utility gained, I am very satisfied. I do own a couple of the "better"(?) lights, tho. A UKeLED 4AA, and a Streamlight Twin Task 3C my kids got me for Christmas...Still relatively inexpensive, but really good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I enjoy my Mini Mags with clickies and MJLEDs most of all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif (I know; LOWBROW!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But: there is no wrong way to enjoy this flashlight hobby, or any other .

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
UnknownVT said: Anyone tried the LEDCORP JM45-3PR-W (linked) 3 Cell
PR2 Base LED Replacement Bulb for flashlights @ $12.95 ?
LED Museum has Reviewed it but I can't figure out how bright this replacement bulb is compared to the 3w, and (overdriven) 1w Luxeon replacements like the everLED and Diamonds of this world.
(in the review Craig said it draws 55mA - which seems very low - even allow for 100% efficiency, with 3-cells, that's 4.5v x 0.055A
= 0.2475 watts.........

[/ QUOTE ]
I did the obvious thing that I should have..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I wrote PM to Craig/LEDmuseum to ask.

Craig replied really quickly (thanks) to tell me the LEDcorp PR2 replacement is an overdriven ground down Nichia 5mm LED - and there is no comparison between that and the Luxeons.....
so beware it is cheap, but it ain't that bright....