How do I format my pc?

rycen

Enlightened
I think I need to format my pc.How do I go about doing this?

Norrsken

Newly Enlightened
Firstly, what operating system do you use?

Check by right klicking "my computer" choose properties and check under system.

Secondly, do you have a operating system cd, recovery cd or someting similar?

Finally, Why do you want to format?

Cheers! /Peter

rycen

Enlightened
I use Windows XP. I do have recovery cds. I have a virus that will not let me open my virus scan, and I can not uninstall it. I also can not open adware. Everything else is fine. I was hoping if I formatted the system I could then reinstall virus scan.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Format equals you lose everything. Just making sure you know that. I am not sure how recovery disks work but if you put it in, and it boots from the cd, you should have an option to format then reinstall Windows XP. You can format in a 'Quick' mode or 'Full'. I have never done anything but quick. If your HDD is large, it can take a long long time to do a full format.

If you format though, it should fix you right up. If you knew what kind of virus is on the system, you generally can download a specific fix from Symantec(Norton) for that specific virus, and it will take it off. But when I used Windows, I always found it easier to just reinstall Windows.

Also, if you dont have a second partition, perhaps this is the time that you should set one up. THey are really handy for such an event. You can just store all your information, files, mp3s or whatever on the second partition and then just format the partition with Windows on it.

Cameron

BigPete

Newly Enlightened
Its always nice to do a format so you get a nice clean computer. It hasnt been stressed enough how important it is to...

1) Check you have backed up everything.
2) Check your backups are backed up.
3) Check you have all the required hardware drivers.
4) Re-check you have the drivers.

Cant stress enough the checking, almost every time I format I check and check again, then half way through I remember something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

LightChucker

Enlightened
Formatting is easy - it's the rebuilding that takes the time. Do some research and planning before you proceed. Make sure you know every step you are going to have to take to rebuild before you reformat.

First most important step is to make a backup of everything to a completely different drive. Make sure you know how to restore the data AFTER the format. You will also want all your Outlook/Outlook Express data. Read up on how to do that in the help system. Also, make sure you save your "Favorites" folder. If there are other people using your computer, make sure you save their data too.

Make sure you have the install disks for all your hardware and software, and plan to download the latest versions after the system load.

But more important still, is that you avoid getting reconnected to the internet as long as possible. In fact, pull the cable plug so that you cannot accidentally connect until you want to connect. Personally, I don't even let the Windows install make the first connection. I put that off untill later - after I have installed my antivirus and firewall software. You don't want to allow the vultures to get into your computer before you do.

Install a firewall and antivirus and run a scan. Then connect only long enough to down the latest version of the software and virus images. Disconnect immediately while you configure that, and run a scan.

Then, connect only long enough to download the latest version of your operating system. Then disconnect again until you have things configured for maximum protection.

Connect again to get the latest versions of your hardware drivers. Then, disconnect again.

Put off permanently connecting until you think you have all your defenses up and running as best you can.

Then, go about the business of installing each piece of software and downloading the latest versions.

Finally, restore your data from your backup.

Safety from the internet is most important. Be careful, and good luck.

Chuck

Argent60

Newly Enlightened
Also, if you backup your data, to say, a external hard drive. Make sure it's data cable is disconnected before you reformat. Dell support took me through a reformat about a month ago and failed to ask about my backup source. Luckily I realized what could happen before I went too far.

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Argent60 said:
Also, if you backup your data, to say, a external hard drive. Make sure it's data cable is disconnected before you reformat. Dell support took me through a reformat about a month ago and failed to ask about my backup source. Luckily I realized what could happen before I went too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...I have 2 extra drives; one internal the other external. They were connected the whole time while I rebuilt. In fact, I rebuilt several times. Nothing happened to me. So, what are you talking about in your case? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chuck

rycen

Enlightened
What do I do if I am not prompted to do anything from my system restore cd?

Argent60

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LightChucker said:
[ QUOTE ]
Argent60 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...I have 2 extra drives; one internal the other external. They were connected the whole time while I rebuilt. In fact, I rebuilt several times. Nothing happened to me. So, what are you talking about in your case? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chuck

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not a computer geek, so you might be safe leaving it connected. But all I know is, that when I started the reformat, the activity light on my external drive lit up. Scared the bejesus out of me, so I unhooked it.
All I'm saying is it doesn't hurt to take an extra precaution.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
In almost every case, there is no need to reformat to remove a virus. You can almost always boot from a CD or a rescue diskette and then run a virus cleaner. It will almost always take less time than rebuilding your system, even if you have to go next door or accross town to burn a rescue disk.

Good luck

Daniel

Jefff

Enlightened
windows ME boot disk .. floppy
download that .. burn it to floppy then put it in a: drive
reboot pc .. if it works it will read from A: and find the start up files and load them from A: .. choose with cd rom support let it load up .. and when you get to the flashing a:\ prompt.. type.....: Format C:\ and press enter . then press Y to accept... when it is complete everything on that drive will be blank.. put in windows xp cd reboot and let it load back onto drive...

if you have a problem with it not reading from the A:\ from boot up then you will need to go into system bios and configure the pc to boot from floppy.. hope this helps ..

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you got a real xp disk - that is separate from any program disk - driver disk or any restore disks.

that way you can load xp with out all of the junk software
that computer manufacturers mix in with restore cd's.

my old compaq had 3 restore cd's and it would restore the computer to the exact same config as shipped.

you could not put a bigger hard drive in the computer or change the partitions on the hard drive
because the restore software would say invalid config then quit executing.

all of the software that came with my compaq was on those 3 restore cd's - if I remember it was compressed with a strange version of pk zip.

I actually figured out how to extract windows me and programs That I wanted from the restore cd's and burn them to cdr's.

if you have a newer but not ultra new computer
xp is very easy to install and it will probably have all of your device drivers(older versions)built into win xp.

rycen

Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for their help. I seem to have figured out the problem and taken care of it.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
once again this is why i love nortons ghost.so may pc virus out today

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I second the recommendation for Norton Ghost.

I just installed Ghost V9 on my Win XP PC after installing a 2nd hard drive for backup purposes. Now, I have it do a base backup from my C drive (program), D drive (important data) every night, and additional incremental backups every hour from 9:00 a.m. to midnight to the 2nd hard drive. I'm pretty amazed at how quick it works too. The full backup of C drive (approx 30GB) takes about 10 minutes and gets compressed down to approx 12 GB. Another great thing is that you can specify the backup to be split up to 4.3GB chunks so you can write the backup to DVD if you want to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dam virus. I recieved the same thing. The first thing it did was destroy my virus scan... I searched through my system files but could not find the sysq32.. or something like that. I thought it was the sober virus.. It wasnt..

-tom

Latest posts