Hunting/Camping light

savumaki

Enlightened
HELP--I am now on information overload. I have lost count of the reviews/posts/mfg.claims/etc that my son and I have read in the last few months. Problem; we are looking for a light which has reasonable flood qualities with a generous amount of output for hunting and camping. Our best choice to date is the Nuwai ALX 352L which appears to have the light quality AND is in our price range-$100.00 max.
Are there other suggestions out there from people more experienced than we are?
Thanks----Karl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't hunt, but I do camp a lot.

I think the best idea is to have an floody LED for most of your lighting tasks, and a brighter LED or incan for brighter needs.

That said, the Nuwai you mentioned seems like an excellent light. I did not realize that it puts out a LOT of light, overall...and out-throws a Tec-40!

Impressive.

savumaki

Enlightened
I agree w/ the flood part and the Nuwai seems to fill the bill; I guess what I'm asking is there one out there that we have missed considering??
Incad. is out since they get some harsh treatment.
K

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
If you need any kind of light in the woods at all, then you need a light that will run for an entire night if you really need it. You can't count on the 352 to run that long.

These are the lights you should be looking at:

UK4AA eLED (10h runtime)
Gerber LX 1.0 (10h runtime, unregulated)
Heliotek HTE-1 (7h runtime)

As a backup light, consider:
Inova X5 (20h runtime; carry two or spare batteries)
EternaLight Model 3M ErgoMarine

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's looking like a 3 watt led converted 3D maglite may fit the bill rather nicely.
Runtime will be 6-10 hours easy, depending on the batteries.
Focussable from pencilbeam spot to narrow flood with the head on.
Take the head off and it delivers nearly a 170 degree angle flood.
Myself and a few others here make those for under $80 shipped cont. USA

Mine now comes standard with a premium "white" white TWOJ binned 3 watt led, unless you need a warmer white tint TV1L for same price.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a G2 to give you some distance spotting, and a simple Led headlamp like an PT Aurora or Petzl Tikka plus for all round, campsite use? If you'd like you can also get a 3W Led drop in module for the G2 and batteries will last even longer. You would probably be able to get all of the above for around $100 I think...

Else if you're willing to fork out another $40 or so, the Aviator might be the one for you. You can get the blue Led version which IIRC will enable you to see blood trail(s) easier in the night...

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
savumaki said:
HELP--I am now on information overload.

Problem; we are looking for a light which has reasonable flood qualities with a generous amount of output for hunting and camping. Our best choice to date is the Nuwai ALX 352L which appears to have the light quality AND is in our price range-$100.00 max.
Thanks----Karl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Karl: While not very experienced, I do have some opinions:

First of all, do you backpack into your camping/hunting area? That will reguire a totally different outlook than if you hunt from a base camp, where you travel to by vehicle.

First: On your person: Bright, lightweight, and long run time. You may wish to hike to your tree stand before daylight, but that should require about a half hour or less. Even if you don't cary a backpack, lighter is better. I usually carry a canteen, plastic poncho, snacks, 10 rounds of ammo, binoculars, toilet paper, plus rifle, with scope and ammo. You don't need extra weight.

Hunting in most of the U.S. is legal only till 1/2 hour after sunset. If you are confused by then, a light with some run time is good. It will help you set up emergency camp, find camp safely, or maybe keep you from falling off a cliff while thrashing around in the dark (Don't ask how I know this!) UK eLED 4AA, Mini Mag, stock or with MJLED or Opalec will do well here. For $100, you can buy several. A headlight is also a good choice.

If you want to carry it, the 2 or 3 D or C maglight will provide throw, but with a weight penalty. The Streamlight Twin Task 3C light is lighter, and has several light levels. I like mine. A back up is a good thing, in case the unthinkable happens, and you don't have a spare bulb, or a wild animal runs off with your light. Extra batteries make sense, too.

A good fluorescent or LED lantern provides more "friendly" light for the campsite, if it is a base camp. If you are backpacking, a good headlight makes a lot of sense. Again; long run time, back-up light, and extra batteries.

Good luck, and good hunting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
There was a headline story on Fark the other day about some yahoos who were hunting in the pre-dawn hours. Since the story maden Fark, the outcome was obviously not good. One of these twits came home with a non-zero number of bullet holes in his body. There's a reason why hunting at night tends to be illegal.

@Sniper: stock minimags drop to 50% output after 40 minutes and run for only 5h30 in total. I wouldn't want to rely on one as a primary or backup light as the runtime at full brightness is just too short.

savumaki

Enlightened
Thanks all; some comments.

enLIGHTenment-(Quote;If you need any kind of light in the woods at all, then you need a light that will run for an entire night if you really need it. You can't count on the 352 to run that long)
Agreed, however the amount of light is important for tracking so I would sacrifice the runtime and carry extra batteries. Also I do carry a small pocket light to see where I am stepping. That said the UK 4AA is definetly worth considering.

3rd_shift-(Quote;It's looking like a 3 watt led converted 3D maglite may fit the bill rather nicely.)
My experience with mags, of which I have several, is the inability to cast a clean flood with no hole. Also a 3D becomes a pain to carry. Nice lights though.

sniper; good points; I have to suffer with being able to walk to the hunting area from my home /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Stanley-(Quote; You can get the blue Led version which IIRC will enable you to see blood trail(s) easier in the night...)
-any specific wave length or just blue? (not UV?)
I should have been more specific and pointed out that around the campsite (when fishing) is no problem since we have propane lights.
Some excellant suggestions and very much appreciated.

BTW sniper, someday you can tell us about the dark and the cliff----but, thats another thread!!!!!!

Once again, thanks. If you have more suggestions feel free to fire.
You can probably see what we want; a 100 lumen light w/12 hr runtime that weights 2 oz and casts light like a streetlamp-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif if only!

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if all I could spend was $100 I would get a G2 with a BOG 3W drop in. Plenty of runtime, bright, lots of throw and not cold in your hands at night. All for about $80.

Yeah, you could mod a Maglite but you cant just throw them in your pockets so well.

Jeff

savumaki

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
xpitxbullx said:
I think if all I could spend was $100 I would get a G2 with a BOG 3W drop in. Plenty of runtime, bright, lots of throw and not cold in your hands at night. All for about $80.

Where would I get the drop in? I have searched and found 0.
K

savumaki

Enlightened
xpitxbullx -where would one find the drop in? I can find no info on it!
Probably don't know where to look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
xpitxbullx said:
I would get a G2 with a BOG 3W drop in. Plenty of runtime,...
Yeah, you could mod a Maglite but you cant just throw them in your pockets so well.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

What sort of runtime do you say the G2 with the BOG (Wazzat mean?)3 W head will get? That's the reason I haven't bought one yet, the short +- 1 HR of usable light. Where do you obtain this wonderful add-on? It do sound a tad expensive, but might be worth it.

All my hunting gear has BIG pockets. Just try stuffin' a roll of TP in your Levis pocket! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

MY

Enlightened
I would get the 3-watt headlamp for $36 from Amondotech. It is a great light at a great price. The three level dimming will provide you with enough light to get you through the night but also bright enough for more night work.

Headlights are all about function. If you care about how dorky you may look with a headlamp, then by all means get a handheld flashlight. If you want to use both hands in the dark, then a headlamp is the only way to go. The number of quality headlamps is increasing but I think for the money the 3-watt is the best deal.

I can't tell you the number of times that I have avoided danger because I had both hands free while hiking at night.

For your budget, you could get the headlamp and a Q3 with two-stage dimmer (for throw) and still have change left over.

Regards.

savumaki

Enlightened
Hello again all- great input; again comments:

tks X33- that was the drop in and does sound like a viable option.

MY- headlamp would be nice but our main concern for tracking is the amount of flood- we both currently have Q3's and find them somewhat limited.BTW quote 'dorky you may look' is not a factor-you should see us (fashion is backseat; meat is in the front set)

Freedom1955 - that's the second recommendation for the UK 4 AA- I wish we could see one locally (Ontario) and get a better feeling for it.

sniper - if you get more info (on the drop in)please pm me if you have time.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Pitbull and X33 are referring to the 3W Led drop in module from BugOutGear USA (BOG). You just swap out the incan lamp assembly from your G2 or Brinkman (and a couple of other lights too) and its ready to go. The runtime is definitely more than +- 1 hour, IIRC its about 2.5 to 3 hrs. Of course it won't be as bright as the stock incan, but looking at some of the posts and beamshots, they are plenty bright and smooth. Its on special from BOG right now, $35 a pop I think. Check it out in the 'Dealers' thread.

Savumaki, the blue Leds on the Aviator are just normal blue, not UV. Apparently, some ppl say that blue light makes blood stand out in the dark, as compared to white or incan lights.

Another vote here for the UKE 4AA eLed. Or a few more bucks will get you the UKE 4AA eLed UniLite, which is similar but has an anglehead which you can swivel to point in any direction. It'll be useful for you to clip onto your vest, etc, I reckon!

savumaki

Enlightened
Stanley -yes the drop in is $35.
Well I can see I had better get a closer look at UK 4AA.
How does it compare to a stock Q3?

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
savumaki- If you do decide to get the UK eLED 4AA, I strongly suggest you go with the "Unilite" version which includes an adapter which turns the head 90 degrees from the body and a good clip for the body itself. This way, the light can be put in a pants/jacket pocket and will shine forward hands free with nothing on your head. Also, if you lay the light down on its side, you can rotate the head angle anywhere you need light directed. As others have mentioned, the eLED has a very wide, very white beam. It's not a powerhouse, but its more than adequate for any close to medium range task. Coupled with the versatility of the Unilite, I find it one of the best "practical" lights out there.