3-to-D hazard

paulr

Flashaholic
Well, I got all the stuff for my Mag85BP together but hit a snag. I noticed that one of the little tabs on one of my EL 3-to-D v2's was partly busted off so I had trouble getting it to stay on the adapter. I took it off and looked closely and decided I could press down and twist and if I was careful, it would stay on. It did.

Unfortunately, I think I didn't put it on in quite the correct orientation. It looks like the way this adapter is designed, you can short out two of the cells if you don't put it on just the right way. Sure enough, I smelled melting plastic and felt the adapter getting hot. I quickly opened it up and dumped the cells out, so the cells were undamaged, but the contact strip in the top part fell off--it was only crimped onto a little plastic button that partly melted.

I guess I'll try putting the contact strip back on with super glue, which I hope will hold til I can get another adapter (Wayne doesn't list them any more but Waion has some similar ones, I think).

Ultimately though, I think the 3-to-D adapter design could use improvement. I may bite the bullet and order one of fivemega's 9aa-to-3d adapters, if he has any left.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got rid of all my plastic el cheapo holders. They work for a while but don'y hold up to long after repeated disassembly. Get a FiveMega or Modamag holder. FiveMega holders charge all the cells without removal of cells using Universal smart charger from Batteryspace.com. In fact the modamag ones will also recharge using clip leads.
Oh and dont DROP your flashlight real hard with the plastic jobs in it- that tabs break off. Spend the money. It's worth it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good:

Dscn3559.jpg

El Cheapo:

Dscn3560.jpg

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the 3-to-D holder to be confusing enough to make a couple of changes to each one I use:

* I added a witness mark so that I can instantly tell how the cap goes back on.

* I added a sticker with arrows which point towards the led and the tail cap so I don't have to figure it out each time I put it back into the light. Here's my dopey 3-to-D sticker if anyone else wants to use it.

After giving my wife an engraved Blaster Jr I was concerned enough about the battery holder that I told her that if she was ever changing batteries and someone came up and started talking to her to just put the light down and pick it up later when there is no one around that may be a distraction. I would follow the same advice myself.

cy

Flashaholic
ya my three 3AA to D adapters are junk. I'm embaressed to sell it to anyone.

kind of like my two RAM switches, one new sealed in pkg. hard to sell, after disclosing to a buyers they are junk!

paulr

Flashaholic
Trying to glue the contact back in with super-glue didn't work, while the plastic nub's remains keep the contact from sitting flat on the plastic. I'll smooth it down with a drill but I don't think that will help much. I have a Mod-a-mag 8AA-to-2D adapter but I don't have a 2D Mag and wanted to make a 9 cell Mag85. Also, I don't think the 8AA to 2D will fit in an unbored Mag with the Sanyo HR-3U 2500 mAH cells that I'm using. I emailed Wayne about buying a replacement for the messed up 3-to-D. Overall though, I think this Mag85 stuff is too big a nuisance and if I were doing it again, I'd just buy a Magcharger and put in an 01160 bulb (MC60) and be done with it. For utterly maximal output I'll hold out for a USL.

paulr

Flashaholic
Here's a fairly cheap charger that should work:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1215

The other charger wants high capacity batteries and doesn't look good for CBP 1650's.

I have a Triton coming as part of a USL package, so I figure I'll use it as a 9AA charger as well. If I stay with the 3-to-D adapters, I'll just charge them in a 3D holder with the Triton, instead of removing the cells from the adapters.

I'm trying to find the thread where Fivemega was selling the 9aa-to-3D's, but not having any luck. Know if they're still available?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
NikolaTesla said:
plastic el cheapo holders.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thoght I was the only person who says "el cheapo" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr -

I'm very careful with the 3toDs but one finally broke.

3M Plastic and Emblem Adhesive pt# 05115 from the auto parts store might work. I've used it to fix the ElekrtroLumens black 3toDs when the negetive caps became loose and lifted away from the tube. Though, from the sounds of it, your 3toD is probably beyond repair?

I wish modamag would make 3toD holders using a similar engineering method as his other holders. I like the flexability of 3toD's with dummies.

After a couple of cycles of individually charging the AAs on a Vanson Speedy Box smart charger, I charge them while loaded in 3toDs. The Vanson expands to C and D size. Yes, I know this method makes the charger less smart but I'm not experiencing any problems so far.

paulr

Flashaholic
Emrbrtn, thanks for the link.

Looks like I spoke too soon about the super glue. It's got the contact stuck down pretty well now that it's dried for a while. I'm used to it sticking almost instantly. Now I'm a little worried about the contact popping loose. I think if I pry it loose, sand down the plastic under it, and stick it back on, it will be pretty secure, but it's not too bad now. Meanwhile, I've misplaced the /other/ part (the "can" part) of the adapter. As soon as I find it, I won't be able to resist firing up the Mag85 at least to try it out.

As for the Fivemega adapters, wow, they look excellent but they're $40 after shipping. I'm sure that's a good value in terms of the quality of the product, but I have to ask whether the end result that the product goes into (i.e. a souped up 3D Mag) is really worth the total expenditure. When you add up the reflector, lens, Magcharger slug or Kiu kit, nine good NiMH cells, and the Fivemega adapter, plus the 3D Mag itself, you've spent somewhat more than what an MC60 would cost and you still don't have a rechargeable flashlight (just a nonrechargeable light with removable rechargeable batteries inside) or a recharger.

Oh well, in for a penny, as they say. We'll see.