Nuwai QIII with a TW0H or TY0J?

luxlover

Banned
I need help from those CPF members who are well versed in the matchup of CR123 and R123 battery chemistries, with Luxeon III emitters.

I am about to have a stock Nuwai QIII modded with either a TY0H or a TW0J emitter. I would like to use a 700mAH R123 battery with this light, if at all possible. Being that an R123 right off the charger measures 4.2V and the same battery has a 3.7V during most of it's discharge cycle, would it be safe to use this battery with either of the abovementioned emitters? Since both emitters would be overdriven by this battery, placing the light in direct drive for a period of time until the battery voltage drops significantly, would the TW0J (J Vf = 3.27-3.51V) run cooler than the TY0H (H Vf = 3.03-3.27V)?

Should I forget about using an R123 with either emitter altogether, and just settle for the basic CR123? If it is advisable to use only CR123s, then which emitter should I request if I want higher efficiency, lower heat generation, and a longer runtime? I have lights using both emitters, and I would be happy with the tint of either of them. Thank you all.

rscanady

Enlightened
I use a R123 cell in mine, but would not use anything less than a K Vf emitter, I drive a TW0K in mine, if I were using a TY0H (very nice bin BTW) I think I would stick to the Cr123 cell to preserve my emitter, just my opinion. I think a R123 cell is to high for H and J bin emitters. I think the H bin would give better effeciency and a brighter light but I think it would draw more current too than the J bin thus possibly more heat and less runtime but I wouldnt think by that much. Not real sure on that one, some of the more versed CPF'ers could help you there.

Ryan

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the circuit boosts anyways. So if vin exceeds vf, it'll just boost. Someone please correct me, I think I'm wrong.
BTW, hows your HDS?

luxlover

Banned
Garageboy,
I understand fully. If you are wrong, I wouldn't know it. Remember that I wrote the post that started this thread...... asking for HELLLP!

red_robby

Enlightened
stick with a K if you want to use your rechargeable 123's
it's a better match, IMHO it just makes more sense .

luxlover

Banned
This just in......
I have decided not to have a QIII light modded after all. The method of switch operation is not what I want, and there is no regulated circuit in it's design. Although I do not have the authority to close this thread, I will no longer be needing any member feedback. I thank the 175 members for viewing this thread, and thank rscanady and Garageboy for posting.

Latest posts