DVD recorders

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what I would like to see. A Hard Drive based PVR WITH a DVD burner as well. That way you could record a show, then burn it to DVDs. Either that, or a HDD with so much space, I would never run out...something like a Terrabyte would work!

Cameron

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you should look at is like the Humax (makes Tivo) model T2500 DVD Recorder/250 hour Hard Drive TV Recording. About $550.
OR
JVC's model DR-MH30 160GB Hard Drive/DVD Recorder. Records in Both major modes simultaneously (from 2 different sources) and puts out progressive scan on playback. -Less than 500 bucks on the internet. Even records DVD-RAM.

bhds

Enlightened
Not interested in Tivo or any other guide based system at all. I originally wanted a hd based pvr but after researching there is just too much hassle associated with those type systems. I realized all want is a digital version of a vcr. The ability to jump to any place in the recording nearly instantly or take it with me and play it on my laptop etc. I just was wondering if anyone had any input on the pros and cons vs a regular vcr etc.

analogguy

Enlightened
I bought a Sony RDRGX300 and use it as you want to...as a digital vcr. For that purpose it works beautifully. As a bonus, the blank media is also much cheaper than videotape. The last time that I bought some blank tapes they were $8.99 each (S-VHS 120). I can get blank DVDs for under a dollar each. If you can hold off a bit, the next generation of DVD recorders (Blu-Ray or HD DVD) is just around the corner. True HD quality recording.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont have time for a full commentary, so here are a few tips:

You have to decide between PLUS(+) and DASH(-) media. Dont call it Minus, the corrrect term is DASH. Some do both.

More DVD recorders are coming out now with the DASH format, however, I choose the PLUS format.

Here are some links for some reading:
anandtech.com dvd primier
DVD FAQ
dvdplusrw.org
What is DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD+R DL? from VideoHelp.com
Why DVD+R(W) is superior to DVD-R(W) - (cdrfreaks.com)

[edit - LINK NOW WORKS]

I own the Sanyo DRW-500 I bought at Wal-mart. Very happy with it.

Although, I JUST DISCOVERED today why anything that I recorded would not play on any other DVD, and that is because you have to MANUALLY FINALIZE the DVD, EVEN IF the DVD is finished recording.

Happy Reading!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i got one for my birthday i used it for the first time last night lol.i leanred never burn it on the low video qility man it was awefull,i recored mask with cher good movie.it has dvd plus or vcr plus but i dont see why i dont see the codes any where in tv listenings

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm building a machine with a real-time capture card and a DVD burner. I'm a little bit anal about video quality so I'm putting in a capture card that will save in 10-bit UNcompressed format for easier editing. It's gonna produce huge video files but I plan to convert my videotape library to DVD so I want something that will capture as much detail as possible.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Hauppauge PVR-150 card i my PC right now. Love it. Even comes with a remote control. Has a free online recording guide, one click, and it's set to record. Got mine at Circuit City for $70 with rebates. And after you record it to your HDD, you can burn it to DVD(if you have a DVD burner).

bhds

Enlightened
Analogguy – do you use dvdr or dvdrw? I mainly want to use rewriteable media. I do wish the dual layer format was more developed so I could buy an inexpensive one now. Hate to turnaround and buy another machine in a year or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Buddtx – does it take very long to finalize the dvd? I use –(dash) media exclusively on my computer and have had no problems playing back on my dvd player.
The link to cdrfreaks.com doesn't work

Raggie33 – how is the low quality compared to a vhs recorded at sp or slp?

analogguy

Enlightened
I mainly use DVD+RW discs. However the Sony can record on DVD R (plus and dash) as well as DVD RW (plus and dash). There are a number of machines that can record multiple formats like the Sony. The odd man out seems to be DVD RAM with only a couple of companies supporting it.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Living in Hong Kong means I have no access to any guide base system like Tivo and such. However, I was getting really tired of my VCR and finally bought a Pioneer DVR-720H HDD DVR, with a built in 160GB HDD. I have absolutely no regrets so far and the quality of recording in SP mode (2 hour per 4.7GB DVD) on this system is really good, meaning that you can't see any difference between the original broadcast and the playback.

With a 160GB HDD, I'll be able to record over 60 hours in SP mode before I need to archive anything to DVD. The feature I like best is to be able to record a show while watching it at the same time. e.g. Show starts at 9:00 p.m. and ends at 10:00 p.m., you start watching at 9:25 p.m. from the beginning and can skip/forward through all the commercials while watching. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Makes me think why I waited so long to buy one of these. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
The two machines that I mentioned earlier can be used exactly like VCRs anf require No phone cable hookup or subscriptions. They even use the same type connectors and VCR+ timer system that VCRs do.

I myself use a 40GB JVC HM-HDS1U -which is a hard drive recorder combined with an SVHS recorder. Both use standard timers, and VCR+. The picture quality is amazing. You also can record anything in either format, and internally transfer the program to the other venue. HDD->SVHS or SVHS->HDD -or to an external recorder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I hope this will hold me over 'till the blue-ray HD recorders arrive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kristofg

Enlightened
I am using an Oopla DVR330 recorder and a thomson HDD recorder with 40Gb disk.
Personally, I must admit that the DVD-recorder is switched off most of the time. it drains about 10 watt in standby mode. I found that for ease of use, I use the HDD recorder every day (simply programmed it with the shows I like, in the way of a vcr) But HDD has the advantage that you can watch while it is recording and with the amount of space on disk, there is little need to worry that programs will be too long.
Whenever there is a program I wish to keep, I simply copy it to the DVD-recorder.
As primary recorder, the DVD isn't much good as the space is limited and you can't record for an entire week on disk.

Furthermore, has anybody the same problem I have? I can't make copis of my self-recorded DVDs with my pc. It's no problem making copies of movies I buy, but I can't duplicate my own home videos.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use rewritables because I don't want to worry about making coasters. Unfortunately the double layer DVD is only available in the "coasters waiting to happen" style, and they cost a king's ransom. I guess it won't be long before the price comes down. I see they're selling double layer burners for less than $55.

I do wonder if they will ever produce a double layer rewritable and if they would work in the current DVD players.