Damaged Arc4+ Rev1. Who can fix it?

Microxot

Newly Enlightened
I have a problem with my Arc4+. It was dropped the other day and now when I put a batter in, the light comes on and nothing will effect it. I think the switch is jammed or malfunctioned (I can't get it to click).

Is this something that someone on here can fix? if so how much?

Thanks in advance
[email protected]

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same exact problem on my other Arc4+ Rev. 2. One had a flickering Lev. 1 that I can live with. This morning I crushed the switch on another one.
Who can tell me how to open the light to replace the switch? I managed to remove the front lens, but not the PCB from the back.
It looks like that the PCB can be unscrewed since the two side indent; I feel it may be loktited in place. Do somebody knows if heat is needed to soften the glue, if any?
TIA
Anthony

cy

Flashaholic
so far no one has managed to remove guts of ARC4 without destroying it. it's potted solidly.

As no parts are available for ARC4, take extra care not to damage any custom parts.

dome switch is available from digitkey. to replace one must first unsolder the goldplatform contact.

Then replace the SMT dome switch underneath. will require a fine tip iron. recommend practicing on other SMT components before trying this.

take care to remove all traces of flux from board. if something is wrong internally, then it's not serviceable.

Several modders have successfully removed guts and replaced with LH board using stock switch.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, Cy.
I have the right soldering tools, both fine tip and hot air blower/sucker. I tought it would have been easier to replace the switch after freeing the PCB, but from what I understand I'll have to do it in place. Not nice, there are high probabilities to ruin the PCB tracks and holes. Job for the Sunday afternoon.

Again, thanks

Anthony

cy

Flashaholic
after you de-solder the gold platform. very carefully lift off without damaging legs. it's almost impossible to remove with bending. you need to bend all legs back straight, alighning all legs back to original shape before soldering back.

you will need to remove all traces of solder before it's possible to reinsert back. All legs needs to be soldered in at exact same height.

take care of close cell foam between dome switch and gold platform. it has to be reused. use tiny amount of superglue to keep in place after soldering new dome switch in place.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
You do not unscrew the PCB! If you do, components on the PCB will be ripped off. Under the PCB, there's whole lot of things. You must apply force on the module instead of the PCB.

I have done it and replaced the LuxIII, resulting is a light with slightly higher output and also higher power consumption(@Level1) due to the higher vf of my LuxIII. I am also trying different type of inductors(low dcR) to see if there are any improvements in efficiency. The info/pics were posted in another thread.

You can disassemble an Arc4+ without doing any damage if you know how. There are ways to do it however, it is quite risky for a first timer. I broke the inductor on my first try /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif, it's not something you can get from digikey easily. However, for those who need, I do stock a few now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I would not recommend swapping the Luxeon because the original Luxeon is already a pretty good bin. Finding one that's better is a tough job.

Follow cy rules and you will be fine, you don't have to touch the PCB.

-vince.

Latest posts