Luxeon K2 Info! (Next Gen)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say big deal 1.5amp they are just overdriving luxeons with better die to slug interfaces..

but they say up to 65lumens @ 350ma. Well that's nice! LuxIII brightness at 1W levels!! I wonder what the Vf is going to be at 1.5amps?

Further looking at the 2nd PDF, notice how the K2 at 350ma is only shown as 50 lumens, and lux1 is shown as 38lumens. Notice also how the luxIII is shown as close to 90 lumens at 1000ma. Unless they are going to release higher flux bins for lux1&3 that seems a bit optimistic.

Still on the bright side it's more efficient no matter how you cut it than the Lux1&3. Putting one in say a StreamLight Jr should result in a huge boost of light for example.

And it seems that the Vf will be the same as a LuxIII so you can swap these in your DD tri or quad lights and gain light with out changing the setup. This also means less voltage to pull 350ma so you gain runtime on CC 1W applications or you pull more current and brightness in voltage boost or DD swaps.

Anyone care to figure out what Vf would be at 350ma? Could be close to 3volts, making DD 2xAA 60lumen alkaline lights a possibility.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting to see what the Heat-Sink makers come up with for centering these things. Both a multi HS and a single HS could have posts coming up for perfect centering of the where it should go.

Or on a single led HS you could have an adapter that has the posts, and a sleve that goes around the HS section to center it and put a weight on top of it while the epoxy cures...

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the 4 leads you are seeing are for V in / out - there are not 2 heat sinks AFAIK. This would be in line with previous products from LL, we are just all used to looking at the Luxeon line.

Still waiting for pad dimensions so that something useful can be done with them. (when they become available)

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
HarryN, I think you mis-understood me. I'm talking about the new case, it has 2 round slots on the corners where you could makes a heatsink with posts that come up and slide into the case to lock the emitter into position. This way it makes mounting the emitter an exact science of where you want it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right Isaac, I misunderstood. I am also waiting for basic design info - have a board ready for Lux III and Cree, and I was hoping to be able to set it up to also handle the K2. Hate to run it without the info.