dentist appt in am .are dentures ok?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well finaly the pian got so i cant eat at all so i have appt in am, i usaly chickn out not realy fear of dentist but fear a crowds in waiting room etc etc. i been so nervess today i cant keep food down but at least some day soon il be pain free . here is question if i get dentures can i eat meat?i miss steaks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif.i have all my teeth now but im sure many are bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure you can eat meat. You will just have to have me chew it first for ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif hehe

I dont think its a problem. My grandparents eat meat, they have dentures. Who know, perhaps the dentist can fix your teeth rather than take them out and what not. Just get it done, dont be afraid, as it will feel a lot better soon enough.

Cameron

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry so much! You won't need dentures!!! Not now at least!!

Last time I was at the dentist was in 1998 for a chipped tooth from eating school food that had a rock in it, that turned into a slight cavity. That's my only filling. I hadn't been there before that since I was like 7. I guess I'm lucky but I do brush after every time I eat and chew sugar free gum when I can't...

It won't be too bad. It might be weird but just think about it after youre done you're not going to have any pain to deal with from day to day and you'll be much happier because of that!!!!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I dread things like that here is what I do. I think: "You're tough, this won't bother you and you won't show that it does. You've been through a lot and nothing has got you yet. This is nothing compared to the things you've been through".

Let us know what happens! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i hope he pulls the bad ones i cant aford to reapir em and im sure they are to far gone a few are already lose and broken.dentures dont bother me if i can eat meat it will be worth it .

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck Raggs. You'll be alright. There's no need to be nervous; Isaac's suggestion is a good one if you are though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a dentist appointment next week, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need several filings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

I hope it goes well raggie. Bad teeth are not good (well duh!).

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Raggie, even if they have to pull some teeth, they might have enough workable ones on either side of the bad ones to put in a bridge. I've had a bridge for decades and it's been extremely sturdy. It's never worked itself off (permanently attached).

Good luck and remember what IsaacHayes said. You've been through much worse and you came out of it ok! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
can you taal after appt i broke my glases last week and i cant see nothing with out em i mean nothing lol.i have em glued togther now but the glue is soft and the flap around so i was going to go to eye dr after and see if he will check my eyes i havnet been to eye dr in long time either. but i know i have to be able to talk to him. im not afraid a dnetist just the fact i dont usaly be so close to people specaily one who puts stuff in my mouth lol.im going to tell him give me good drugs for the night so i wont be in pain lol

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
One step at a time, Raggie. You'll be fixed up before you know it and it'll be well worth the trouble.

You'll be in my thoughts tomorrow! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Dentures are not always cheaper than fillings. A dentist who's a really good person will let you set up a payment plan and will probably give you a break on the price.

Compared to your natural teeth, dentures suck. Keep them as long as you can. I've been told that the dentist I went to 25 years ago was a miricle worker. I had two teeth that were mainly filling. It's amazing what they can do if you ask them to save them.

Many dentists will prescribe a sedative if you are overly nervous. Most have laughing gas available to help you during the procedures.

I am not a doctor, and may be 100% wrong.

Daniel

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a back wisdome tooth hurt like a (censored) a few years back.
The pain lasted a few days as part of the tooth crumbled and left a big hole in the middle of it.
I was told it would cost 2500 to pull it and the other3 crooked wisdome teeth out.
I then set up an appointment with a dental college to pull them all out for $400 instead.
When I went in, the only pain I felt was from just a teeny little shot where the IV tube was later put into my arm.
I didn't even feel the IV tube at all then.
They then put in the sedative into the Iv.
35 seconds later, the room tilted sideways and I was out.
A while later I kinda sorta came to and was handed my 4 teeth in a little baggie.
For the 1st time, I saw why the really bad one hurt so much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif

If you see this in the morning, try to have the dentist save your teeth if at all possible and practical.
If any of your wisdom teeth are bad, have them taken out.

code09

Enlightened
No worries Raggie! Im sure everything will be just fine. I dont know about the dental offices in the US, but in canada, some have pretty cool lights! They have this really really bright light that shines an intenese white and focused light into your mouth, but when you look directly at it, its not bright at all! It is somehow reflected, and does not seem to affect the person sitting on the chair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kinda cool i thought...let me know what yours is like! After all....we're all flashaholics here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good luck Raggie!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, I'd recommend getting them fixed as soon as possible. See, if you get in early, there is likely to be less damage, the teeth can possibly be saved and you might even spend less money because there's less that needs fixing.

The dentist light has this really tight hotspot, imagine the throw on that thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Reminds me of that night a friend broke a tooth and we were checking it out by the light of a Solitaire. I had no idea what this "Surefire" thingy was back then but looking back I sure could have used all the power of the U2!

For looking into mouths though, the KL1/L1 4th-gen with new optic works better, because there is no sidespill to blind the hapless casualty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

code09

Enlightened
kevinL: agreed! Oh, and a little off topic...my F04 came in...you were right, nice smooth beam...i cant complain!

cy

Flashaholic
only on cpf can a thread on dentures degrade into dentist light's beam pattern /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well im back at exepcted no fear of the procesdure but man the waiting room was un fun i should of asked my dr for meds to relax me. but i dodnt have new doc yet. i had 2 tooth pulled from back a mouth didnt feel anything but am a little sore now. i soent rest of day geting eyes exnaed lol i didnt read on note where it said liquid diet and eat lunch 20 miunutes after extrafcion lol is very weird to eat when ya motuh is numb ya cant tell if ya swalwed yet lol

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Hey Raggie, ya made it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

I know what you mean about eating with a numb mouth. It does feel weird. Fortunately that won't last too long. Just be gentle on that area for awhile so the tissues can heal. It would probably help to gargle with salt water once in awhile. It tastes horrid but it's good for the tissues.

cognitivefun

Enlightened
go to www.sedationcare.com

find a "pill dentist" -- someone who will give you pills to help you relax and get your work done when you're comfortable.

Dentures are awful. You want to do anything you can to save your natural teeth.

LightChucker

Enlightened
I know it is after-the-fact now, but that nitrous oxide is the greatest. As a child, before the floride treatments they give these days, I had lots of cavities. It hurt so bad that the dentist had to follow me down into the chair as I tried to slump down to escape the pain.

Then, I found a doctor that used nitrous. Everything was much better after that.

One more thing, I have had several root-canals. As a routine, they give you antibiotics afterwards to ward off infection. Never had a problem until one time - I came down with a "c-dif" (clostridium difficile) infection. It put me in the hospital for 3 days! They said that antibiotics can sometimes kill all the "good" bugs in your gut, which allows the "bad" bugs (clostridium difficile)to run wild. They cured me with yet another antibiotic called "Flagyl". I have heard of people dying from this.

So, now I am really scared to take antibiotics for anything.

Chuck