small led light

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I am looking for a small 1 AA led light to take on trips and maybe keep in the car or in my backpack. I would like it to be powerful enough to walk down a dark hallway easily, but dim enough so that I I can read by it at night

I am looking at the infinity ultra, it seems to fit the bill, because I do not want to spend more than $20 on it. The infinity ultra seems to be made by gerber and CMG. Is there a difference? Is there any cheap better alternatives that you know of? thanks in advance

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
CMG Infinity made the Ultras (and the lower power Task Lights) till Gerber bought them out. Gerber continued selling the "old style" Ultra bodies for awhile, rebranded as "Gerber", and at the same time began selling a "new style" Ultra, with a tail twistie and a few other changes. You can still find the "old style" on the web (last time I checked), and most CPFers seem to prefer it.

I love my Ultras---fairly bright, 25 hr. regulated runtime (brightness stays the same till battery almost gone), runs on cheap AAs (slightly brighter on lithiums), and simple, indestructible body with a nice bezel twistie. A classic little light, and a great value for the money. Sounds about right for your purposes.

gorlank

Enlightened
Highest recommendation to the Xnova clone, $5.50 shipped from Emilion on the BST. It's the light in the middle, doesn't have the massive spill of the CMG but it's got a really intense spotlight. Hard to beat for the price and available in AA and AAA flavors. My Solitaire costs more than this cool little light.

trilights.jpg

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I would also recommend the Ultra and I believe CountyComm may still have some of the old style. Last time I ordered they were giving away the Government model free with the purchase of another light..not sure which light though.
You can not go wrong with the little AAA Dorcy either. It is available at any WalMart for 6 dollars and is actually pretty reliable. I have several and find that a little frosted tape over the lens really smoothes the beam and makes a good reading light as well as an all around tinkering around the house at night light.
I will say that my Infinity Ultra-G is most often my "go to" light and the simple design is amazing and time tested.
Good Luck

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the Infinity Ultra here. Put in a Lithium AA and you won't have to worry about the battery leaking, etc, and it'll always be there when you need it. I always have mine on a neck lanyard whenever I go hiking or camping.

watt4

Enlightened
dorcy AA ! it's the second from the right.

mysmalllights025ch.jpg

the dorcy AAA (on the left) would be a good choice if you can go with AAA batteries

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
thanks a lot, it sounds like the infinity ultra is a good choice, thanks for all of the feedback.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
attowatt: they aren't direct drive, and they aren't current regulated. They are voltage boost but will stay pretty much the same brightness the whole time but will dim down over time allthough it takes a long time!