Well I just took the plunge on two SL Twin Task 2L

cslinger

Enlightened
I have been trying to decide what I wanted in car lights and pretty much determined that the Surefire A2 Aviator was the way to go. I have two aviators but just couldn't bear the thought of locking them away in a car. So I researched the SL Twin Tasks and they seem very well regarded and will fit this mission perfectly, with the only real downside being the switch routine but hey it's not like I need them for tactical entries or anything.

Anyway I picked up two of them and an extra two bulbs for what I feel is a steal. I get dealer discounts at certain vendors due to my Curio and Relic license. So basically for less then the cost of two A2 lamp assemblies I have a couple of 2Ls in black with extra bulbs on their way via BBT.

So do we think these will make decent car lights? Do these come with extra bulbs in the tail cap like the other SL offerings? I wasn't sure and with the cost being so low I figured I pick a couple of extra up.

I figure the LED light should be brighter then the A2's and the A2 works perfectly for me so these SL's should be great for general navigation / power outages.

One question. Anybody have any realistic run time numbers for the lights. 28 hours for the LED's seems kind of optimistic. I am figuring something in the neighborhood of 12-15 hours is more likey with 28-30 hours giving very low light indeed. The main lamp looks like it should actually run around 1.5 to 2 hours by my best guess. Anybody have any better guesses?

Thanks
Chris

litho123

Enlightened
Hi Chris -

These are nice all around lights. I've given one to each of my teen daughters. The incan figure is very optimistic...the light gradually dims until the batts are too weak to light up the incan filament. However, the batts will still drive the 3 LED's quite a bit longer until they too expire.

They make great "night-light"s in the bathroom when vacationing. Just hang them off the towel bar in LED mode. A great way to totally deplete the 123 batts.

They do not have an extra bulb in the light.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Well I just took the plunge on two SL Twin Tas

I too, have one of these in my car glove box. As Litho mentioned, these are great all-round lights, and won't cause as much heartache if you drop it or scratch it as compared to a A2. Not sure on exact runtime but 1.5 to 2 hrs on the incan sounds about right, and for Leds it'll definitely last a good while. I'm contemplating using this as a handlebar mounted bike light, as the incan has quite a big hotspot, and in case it dies on me while riding, at least I still have the Leds to run on till I can stop safely and change bulbs/batts.

Great buy, esp if you're able to get it at a cheaper price! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

As my EDC was evolving, the 2L (with a Kroll Switch mod) was my EDC for a month or so. It works quite well in that nanner, but is quite a bit fatter than my current Minim*g with a 3W. It should ROCK as a vehicle light!

I keep a 3AA TT in my truck (loaded with Lith AAs as I've already had a leaking alkaline!).

But may add the 2L to the mix now that I think about it!

Good job!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm still on the original set of batteries in my two 2L Twin-Tasks (two + yrs. old). Have used them a LOT, though mostly in LED mode.

The incandescent is quite adequate for any task short of taking a SWAT Tactical Entry Course.

Very nice lights for the money.

Mine have faded a notch being my favorites, after getting two 2L 3 Watt Nuwais. These have the two level switch, and high level rivals an average 2L Tactical light brightness. I think mine are TM 115's, the ones with the larger reflector. Nice, and no bulb to blow.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I found out something VERY interesting about a 1L TT last night.

My Chop modded KL3 had gone dim on 2 SL batts. I put some new ones in and thought about using them completely up in the 1L. It wouldn't even flicker with either batt!

Apparently once the KL3 is done with 'em they are toast!

With a good battery the 1L isn't bad at all as a LED light!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
cs, your estimates are realistic. I gave my 21 year old son a TT-2L extra 123's, lamps and a Ripoff's holster for Christmas and he absolutely loves it. I have a TT-1L and comparing my results with my son's, I'd say you're close with the real run-time.

cslinger

Enlightened