Article of interest to readers of this forum

cgm

Newly Enlightened
Here is an article that may be of interest to readers of this forum. It's a general interest article on green lasers that appeared in an industry trade web site. In it, it discusses high powered lasers, possible safety concerns, and mentions the FDA interest in what is going on with lasers, and memtions this forum. - if it gets moved again, do a search on FDA, green lasers, overpowered

I had passed this article on to the moderators previously, I just hadn't had the time to post this general post for everyone to read about it.

With regards to this article, I would like to say, if you are experimenting with lasers, like anything else that may be hazardous to yourself or others, YOU are ultimately responsible for what happens and the results. Safety should always be on your mind, and if you are using a laser, you should use it responsibly. No shining it at people, homes, cars, etc.

It would only take a few incidents reported in the news before some politician or other people take notice and decide to pass rules or regulations that may ban them for everyone...

If you get information form this site, use it responslbily. I appreciate the wealth of information found on this site, and would hate to see restriction occur due to someone's misuse of green lasers.

Raccoon

Enlightened
I love that article-- It sucks so bad. But to see it mention CPF tickles me so.

If the reasons for this article's suckage are not readily appearant, feel free to inquire. Otherwise I'll spare this forum of my opinion which is probably unanimously shared.

And Remember. Your laser can also be used for "gene cell therapy!" (Chris just cracks me up)

fusionman

Newly Enlightened
What about all those people with dinky greenies that have no way to check for <5mw compliance? Some of those things come out of the box > 5mw.

I think registering is all right for the true noncompliant stuff but how far will it go? I mean, 10 day waiting period + background check just to buy a laser pointer? You know that California legislators will pass something like that first just to prove how incompetent they are.

Go buy all the stuff you want right now cause its probably the last chance you will have. (Esp. ebay )

"They can have my lasers, after they pry them from my cold, dead hands."

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
you may need a carry permit, with photo id, finger prints, and a listing of all of your >5mw laser pointers, not to exceed 4 over powered lasers, unless you have an immoveble safe(safe drilled to concrete floor) at home to store your lasers. i'm already at the municipal building filing for my permit!

PhotonThrower

Newly Enlightened
Hello All,

It seems as though the hobby has really taken a " Black eye " as of late...with all the negative press concerning laser illumination of commercial airline jets. The source of the problem lies within an extreme minute group of complete idiots, who insist on utilizing the amazing tools of current laser technology, to obtain some kind of warped " cheap thrill " while they play Buck Rogers/ Star Ship Trooper and possibly endanger peoples lives...To this I say..GROW UP !! You may " Flush this hobby down the toilet " by your infantile, irresponsible behavior !!

The problem is very complex. We live in a society which cherishes personal freedom and choice…You do your thing…I do mine !!! FINE ! Until someone sacrifices their health / life because of the consequences of someone else choosing to act in a manner in complete disregard / disrespect of his/her fellow citizens !

The problem is amplified by currently available technology, for sure, but where does it end ?? I think one could speculate that the media hype has done at least two things: Possibly planting the seeds of stupidity in already stupid/immature minds and , elevated the anxiety level of both private and commercial pilots ( with good cause ). Let's think about the second one.

I would speculate, that, If I were flying a 747 in on landing approach, and all of a sudden the cockpit or my eyeball experienced some type of laser illumination…one of the things going thru my head would be: "How bad can this get"…meaning how strong a source is this illumination coming from ??? ANY presentation could develop into a much greater illumination …"What does this nutjob have, what's next" ? Of course, also of immediate concern would be passenger and personal safety…that would be uppermost, but what I am trying to say is that ANY illumination ( 5mw on up ) could result in pilot distraction, which could result in disaster !!!

So now…the potential catastrophic result of any airframe laser illumination is present !
Now what does society do ???BAN ALL LASERS FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC ACCESS!!! That'll " put this genie back in the bottle" Sure, this could happen !!! But what's next??? ANY distraction to airline operations, especially on the critical take-off and landing sequence, are potential targets of ground based action. One could then ban the general public from possession of ANY technology which could deliver ANY type distraction. This could include, but not limited to, class "A" fireworks/bottle rockets or catapults capable of launching yesterdays left over meatloaf to landing/take-off operational elevations. WHERE DOES IT END ????
It should end with the engagement of common sense, The Golden Rule and mature adult behavior. Too bad this cannot be " legislated" into the laws of the land. I too say…" They will have to pry my laser from my cold, dead hands " !!!

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I have a few that are >5mW. I would be in favor of legal ownership of >5mW with the proper training and registration if I'm permitted to buy what I want, when I want it. Homeland security may be scanning this site... but I don't care because I don't have anything to be afraid of. I'll submit to background checks, pay registration fees, proficiency tests, etc. None of that really bothers me. I'm a law abiding citizen, but I see the potential for misuse of these items. As for being on some 'government watch list' for just owning a laser, that's plain crazy.

A police officer can call in my license plate and know exactly what firearms I have registered in my name, and a silly green laser isn't going to be of any concern.

Raccoon

Enlightened
You'd pay registration fees to continue being a law abiding citizen? In that case, let me be a criminal for free!

I really wouldn't want a police officer scanning my name to see "posesses powerful green laser, blindness hazard". Then when I roll down my window to accept my speeding ticket, and my cellphone light blinks (every 5 seconds), he shoots me in self defense. "I thought he was reaching for his green laser, your honor."

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm sure if your lasers were seized by the fda, or customs, your profile is on their data bank, and any lasing within your neighborhood, these feds, +/or local cops will be knocking on your door.

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened
Highly unlikely. FDA and Customs databases are not tied into any CA DOJ computer networks as far as I'm aware. I'm sure they could get access, but it's not something they could easily do.

It's not something the FBI could do unless they contacted someone from the FDA or Customs and do a manual check. It is also something they wouldn't even bother doing unless you were under investigation for an actual illegal activity.

There isn't one central computer where you can look up anything. Government agencies are rather horrible at sharing information, especially on the Federal level.

NICS is a database of people who have been convicted of felonies, been deemed to be mentally unstable, or have violent misdemeanors and is used to deterimine eligibility for firearms purchases, and wouldn't be used to keep a "database of laser pointer importees" lol. That would constitiute a waste of time and resources that no government agency would be willing to take on.

And in case you hadn't known, the FDA and Customs can not do anything to you for importing high-spec lasers. They can only investigate the sellers and manufacturers of these items. Lasers are currently not illegal to own or purchase.

It is not illegal to own a 100mW green laser pointer. You may show a federal, state or local police officer "see my 100mW Class IIIb laser!!!!", and as long as he doesn't see you shine it outdoors, or point it at anyone, the only thing he can do is say "that's nice" or "put it away".

Product importation requirements and regulations have nothing to do with local, state or federal legality/right to own, and they're two completely different issues.

shimmeringtrance

Newly Enlightened
i wanted to comment on this topic a bit myself. as i see it, with high powered lasers being available to anyone someone will eventually get hurt - it's bound to happen. it's a fantasy to think all people who buy them will be responsible with them, even some people on these forums admit to using their high powered lasers without permits. as much as i like & am fascinated with lasers myself, i personally dont believe selling high powered units to the public is a very good idea. it's the equivelant to selling pistols thru the mail to anyone who wants one - dangerous. it's unfortunate but this is the reality of human behavoir - some minority of ignorant/careless people will ruin it for the many.

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
that's always been the case... some ignorant/ careless person prankster, irresponsible person ruins it for the rest of us, hence, restrictive laws to "protect us" from ourselves.