Recommend a small host for R/O Lux3?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I want something different than the standard mag for a host, because thats what all my lights are. I want something small, but I want to be able to use NiMH of some sort.

The only thing I can come up with is the mxdl that has a clickie on the tail cap, it looks very small and uses 3xAAA, but that won't last long on runtime...

I'm probably going to have to go with a buck regulator, or 2 700ma boost circuits in parallel...

Preferably the host could fit a 27mm reflector...

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
To keep things small, my second choise was to use a 14500 cell, A single high current diode in series with the LED dropped the current from 1.8A (DD) to about 1.47A(with diode). The R/O with a NX-05 was decent enough but a 27mm reflector would be better. The only thing to keep in concideration with the R/O LUX III in a small housing, is it will get hot pretty fast. I also found the 3x NiMH with a dropping diode yielded about 1.4A also. mabyee a double barrel AA setup with a dummy cell (could put the diode in the dummy cell).
Jeff

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, I'd like a side by side 3xAA or 4xAA setup but all of those are plastic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could find a light that has a four AA capacity that runs the batteries in series, then you could go for a downboy1400. You don't need to use two converters.

Of course, running any luxeon at 1.4A is going to generate tons of heat, so I would go with too small of a host, unless you're only going to be using it for short runs.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tony: I meant 2 boost circuits. If using 1 boost at 1.4amp from 2.4v NiMH the input current would exceed the circuit limits. So by using 2 you get around that. I edited my first post to make it more clear.

Ultimatly 4xAA would be nice. I don't plan on long runs of the light at all. But finding one that is aluminum will be hard.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chevrofreak & Evan, both of those lights are plastic right? I'm looking for a metal aluminum light to get rid of 4.2 Watts of heat!!! Does the coleman only hold 2aa? that won't do then b/c I want to use NiMH... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
The coleman is aluminium. You could use 2 AA NiMH cells, and direct drive it - you'll get 700mA or so - or use 2 Lithium AAs and probably get 1A or more - but it sounds like you really want to get the full 1.4A.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah, the point is to get the full 190 lumens. I already have ~60lumens of R/O now, so I want a big jump!!

Still not sure what to do about over-discharging NiMH with these things.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW did you get your mag done yet?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

wtraymond

Enlightened
Try a Brinkman Legend LX. They are aluminum, 3 AA, and look like a long mini-mag. They have a great tailcap clickie that locks out. Mr. Bulk made LGIs from Brinkman hosts. If you could somehow mod it with a 27mm reflector, you'd have a great host.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The R/O is pretty temp sensitive. If your goal is to really push the Lumens, more than normal heat removal will be needed.

A streamlight jr. AA might be an interesting small host. 2 x Li AA DD should push 1 amp, not sure about 1.5A. With a body that size, most likely you will not have adequate cooling anyway.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
HarryN, the SL JR Lux has very poor HS'ing...
Jeff, very true, just wondering about the circuit as over 2amps on the input side would well exceed what it can handle I'm sure... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use a downboy 1400 and 2x14500 li-ion in the XM-3. Current draw on 2xCR123a/DB1400/Red Lux-III was a little over 0.9A when I tested it on mine.

*edit* Oops. I see you wanted to use NIMH. This can just be an alternate idea.

Jeff

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found out that Emilion sells a modified version of the MXDL,that i beleve would be a good host to the R/O Lux III

Emilion said this in a mail to me:

The MXDL use a 3 AAA battery holder. I just modify the holder a bit so the
batteries are in parallel. I'm not sure about the current draw of a R/O LUX
III,
but 3 X DLG Li-ions can provide 2A current at least. Yes, I mean DLG
Li-ions
because they are good quality, and can suffer from high current draw.
The modified battery
holder
provides 3.7v 2.1A power

The only thing is that i dont know if the R/O Lux can handle such a current.

So what do you guys think?

Benny

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know too much about batteries but even if the batteries can provide 2.1A wont the LED only draw what it needs at that voltage?

Jeff

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
the LED will draw their rated current at about 3.0V (if availiable). At 3.7v they will pull as much as the batteries will provide.
Jeff