Light to use to see merchandise in mart store?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just applied for an intership with target to get some experience in leadership. When I shop in stores like target or walmart I pull out my legend xl light and use it in areas where I am looking for a product. The only downside in that case is the beam is too much of a spot and a more flood like light would work. I have not tried my xpg, I know it has somewhat of a flood beam, then of course if you remove the lens, its a wide angle light for sure.

Is there a wide angle pocket light with the hot spot of the legend xl or p61 lamp? I had considered buying one of those pistol grip style hand held spot lights like what cabelas sells, but Ive often thought several million candle power would be too much at such a short range unless I wanted to set the merchandise on fire.

I am sure it would be fairly quickly before I remember what merchandise is where and this may not be something i will always need, but just to start off with.

I have also considered that mag 6 cell 6 5 watt led upgrade. Its a round disk with 6 5 watt leds in it and it is said to throw out a wide angle beam with no regards to battery life. That may be in the neighborhood of what i want, but handling a 6 d cell mag light or 6 c cell maybe too long and heavy to use off and on throughout the day. Can that be powered by a smaller flashlight?

Just wondering.....

Stream

Enlightened
Do you do your shopping after they turn off the lights or is the lighting so bad at Target and Walmart that you need a flashlight to see your way around? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Cobb,

You may want to check out the Heliotek.

You can have spot or flood when ever you need it. It is a bit unusual looking, so they won't think you took it from their stock. It is very light weight and easy to hold, and has over 7 hours of regulated light output.

Tom

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to shop at walmart after hours? I think mines is open 24 hours, just at midnight they annouce they are close then reopen for some legal reason.

IN most stores the lighting is great for getting around and finding products i know. But if you head to the toy section and look at match box cars. Or the hardware section looking at the measurement on screws. Or the pants section or mens dress shirts and trying to read the size labels. I either need a ton of light or hold it several inches from my face. Dont forget I am legally blind, I can see some, but not enough to drive a car.

Thanks, I will check that out. This is just in case, I want to be prepared. I would try to memorise the location of stuff and want to be great at customer service.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 would be perfect for sure. No cheapo stores sell them so they could never say you took it. Very nice up close flood and plenty bright. No beamy hotspot. Small. fits in any pocket. A bit cheaper and smaller is QIII. Same deal. not sold in store. Not quite as bright but real small,

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used my Longbow Micra in a Kmart store,
the tool department was poorly illuminated, worked very well.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
So TORCH_BOY, you see what I am saying? Thanks guys, going to research those lights. Sounds like what I am looking for, something with a short range flood with no artifacts.

cslinger

Enlightened
How about an Inova X5 or a Streamlight Task Light 2L. You can pick up an X5 at Academy Sports or order either on line. The X5 puts a nice flood of light out. Not superbright but a nice flood.

Course if you want to go all out a Surefire L2 or L4 will put out a tiny bit of flooding light (READ LIKE TURNING ON THE LIGHTS AT A BASEBALL STADIUM) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris

webster223

Newly Enlightened
I've worked at "mart" stores. Personal items such as pens, notepads, flashlights, and box cutters tend to be misplaced or lent out to other employees who may go off-shift before returning them. Plus, as a management intern you'll be running all over the store assisting guests and other employees, and it may be hours before you get a chance to go retreive an item.

For these reasons, I'd go to work with something inexpensive like a MiniMag, maybe with a drop-in LED. Engrave your initials on it if you're concerned about proving it's yours and not misappropriated inventory.

If you absolutely need more light than a MiniMag can produce, I'd get an inexpensive 2-cell Xenon light like a Brinkmann, G2, or Scorpion. I would try to keep it under $30, or whatever you can afford to replace on a semi-regular basis.

Good luck!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the x5 any brighter than the v2 6 chip? That isnt quite enough light. The legend xl does pretty well, its just too tight of a spot light.

Stream

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cobb said:
Is it possible to shop at walmart after hours? I think mines is open 24 hours, just at midnight they annouce they are close then reopen for some legal reason.

IN most stores the lighting is great for getting around and finding products i know. But if you head to the toy section and look at matbeamch box cars. Or the hardware section looking at the measurement on screws. Or the pants section or mens dress shirts and trying to read the size labels. I either need a ton of light or hold it several inches from my face. Dont forget I am legally blind, I can see some, but not enough to drive a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I see. You didn't mention anything in your first post about your eye-sight.
Streamlight jr Luxeon has a pretty good beam for all-round use, and it runs on regular AA batteries.