Need advice on AA lights

Thermalarc

Newly Enlightened
Howdy folks. Can anyone give me some pointers (other than the SL Luxeon Jr and Mag drop-ins) on lights as follows?

1) AA powered (one to 4 batts)

2) Luxeon

3) 2 hour minimum runtime

4) Good beam and color (white)

5) Around the size of a SF E1

I'm somewhat flexible on the size and runtime.

Also, is there anything equal to (or nearly so) the ARC AAA these days? Anyone have comments on the SL Poly 4 AA Luxeon?

Gracias...

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have heard nothing but good about the SL propolymer 4AA luxeon. I dont have one so I cant recommend one, but those who own them arent dissapointed and I know that as fact. No tint problems, pure white beam, excellent throw, uses easy to find AAs, can even use rechargables, and is fully regulated for up to 4 hours.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Top, Streamlight Polypro 4AA 1 watt Luxeon, Bottom, Streamlight Tasklight 3AA 1 Watt Luxeon

dsc002082eo.jpg

I really like the Polypro because it's beam is a lot nicer than the Tasklight. The beam is white, compared to the Tasklight.

The beam the Tasklight puts out has some purple in the sidespill, yellowish green in the center.

scudinc

Enlightened
The SL ProPoly is in an entirely different size class from the E1. Try to find a TnC Key-Lux if you want something that fits all of those requirements.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only 2AA lights that are as short as a SureFire E1 are both Xenon lights: Underwater Kinetics 2AA Task Light (which has a thumb-switch for momentary and full-on)and Princeton Tec Tec-20. If someone can find a Luxeon drop-in that fits the UK, that would be a killer combo.

There may be two or three other "side by side" 2AA dive lights.

Ike Lite makes the PCm, a short 4AA side-by-side Halogen that sells for about $48. But you can't use it outside of water for more than a few minutes, or the reflector will melt.

The best 1AA ligth is probably the TnC Key-Lux 350 mA.

I have a 1AA Peak Kilimanjaro Hi Output (about $50) but even since I've discovered Luxeons, I've been disappointed in the Peak. Maybe whatever replaces it will satisfy.

The best stock 2AA is probably the Longbow ECO, but it's as long as most 2AAs.

You said "other than Mag mods," but what you're looking for can best be found in a Mini Mag that has been cut down to take 1AA and machined to take a 20mm IMS reflector. You can find it for aboutg $37 in the B/S/T forum. Add the proper drop-in and you're set.

Or wait for the 60-lumen 1AA light that's supposed to arrive this summer...

83Venture

Enlightened
The Proton will be coming out soon and should be a very good 1AA light. I will probabily wait until it comes out and get one of them and a Freedom at the same time.