Silly noob question...

orangeD

Newly Enlightened
new to this forum, but have been looking to get a really good UV torch, just wondering which is the best all rounder, I was looking at the Inova X5 UV, any help guys? TIA

code09

Enlightened
Sorry, cant help with that question, but just wanted to be the first to welcome you to CPF!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
orangeD,

The X5 UV is going to be a flood light that is useful from medium to close range. Maybe if you shared a little more what your intended uses are, CPFers could give you some better suggestions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
I wanna UV LED light too...

Sorry if I'm horning in, but I want an LED UV flashlight too.

I can tell you what I would want it for: It would mostly fit into the "toy" category. I definitely do not have a "serious" professional use for it, like those who go Scorpion hunting, professional cleaner stain locating, retail counterfeit money detection, or bouncer/hand-stamp checker where I'd be using it 24/7.

I just want it for exploring, informal experimentation, looking for unexpected sources of fluorescence etc. Light duty pet-stain location, charging up glow-toys, showing the anti-counterfeit features of U.S. currency and credit cards as a conversation starter with my other geeky friends…

I know there's a difference between the shorter (stronger?) wavelength 370nm LED's and the more "purple" 400-something nm LED's which seem to be cheaper. Is it that important if it's just for goofing around? The only thing I do know is that I want something more powerful and brighter than the Photon-style coin cell size light. Something hand-held, about 2xAA, 3xAAA or 2x123 size is fine.

I see some reasonably inexpensive eBay listings for a 14 LED UV light that's only about $12 + $8 S&H. The seller has a good rating too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16037&item=5196359767&rd=1
Nor does the seller insult your intelligence by labeling it "RARE, ONE OF A KIND! LIKE CSI INVESTIGATOR!"

Few, if any of the online retailers, other than Xenopus, make any distinct note of the wavelength, and while his products, especially the nice M@G adaptors look great, I think they're a bit out of my price range for a "toy". I guess I'd have to assume that unless it's mentioned they're all in the higher 400'ish nm category.

cy

Flashaholic
Re: I wanna UV LED light too...

welcome to cpf, oranged and AJ. you have come to right place, if you want to lighten your wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

orangeD

Newly Enlightened
Yes, intended use could help narrow the field, mainly for urine and maybe semen detection, I've read on some other sites you 390nm is whats needed for this type of thing, I wouldn't be using a large torch only a small handheld is what I'm after. TIA!

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
LSI, aka NightCutter, is out of the retail flashlight business. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

A few months ago I wanted a UV light because I was getting a new cat and I ended up buying an INRETECH 400nm drop-in module for a 3D M/\g. I bought the M/\g locally and the whole thing cost pretty close to what I would have spent on the INOVA X5 UV. The INRETECH has 20 LEDs compared to the INOVA's 5. The size wasn't an issue as it was for use at home. I'm happy with it.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
orangeD said:
Yes, intended use could help narrow the field, mainly for urine and maybe semen detection, I've read on some other sites you 390nm is whats needed for this type of thing, I wouldn't be using a large torch only a small handheld is what I'm after. TIA!

[/ QUOTE ]

orangeD,

I believe the X5 UV is rated at 395nm, though I sent off an email to Inova just to be sure. I think you'll be pleased with the X5 UV for your intended uses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

CyByte

Newly Enlightened
is the Inova X5 UV visible to the naked eye?

What can other UV lights be used for that the X5 would not be good for? I guess that would determine what type I want to have fun with.

I'm going to start spending money from this site lol

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of its energy is visible. 395 nm would put the X5 in the NUV (Near Ultra Violet) range. If you wanted to walk around in the dark with a UV light hunting scorpions (which floresce under UV) a light in the NUV range would enable you to see enough to keep you from tripping over things.

If you want to block out the visible energy from NUV light you may use glasses that block the blue, like on CSI. By blocking the visible blue you may see items that floresce very faintly and would otherwise go unnoticed without the glasses.

As you get down in to the true UV range there is less energy emitted in the range that is visible to humans. These LEDs seem to be ten times as expensive, too.

[ QUOTE ]
What can other UV lights be used for that the X5 would not be good for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deactivating bacteria, for one. Also, many things floresce at certain specific wavelengths. I don't know the particulars.