MXDL with 190Lumen Red/Orange LUXIII

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI!

Im planning on modding my MXDL a Red/orange LuxIII,and i need a few tips so that i dont fry the Lux the minute i get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I was hoping to use the three AAA batteryes in direct drive.
Will this be sufficient to drive the Lux or will i have to use Li-ions?
Im interested in getting the most out of the LUX,aiming high towards 190 Lumens maybe?

Benny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to do the same thing with the same light, but my red/orange lux was DOA!!

Anyway, using 3 nimh AAAs should get you in range current-wise. If I'm not mistaken, the 3.6V+ of the 3 cells should be well over the vf of the lux. What's the bin? 900-1000ma cells should get you the juice you need.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx,i havent ordered an R/O Lux yet.
Im just playing with the idea /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I was wondering if i needed some kind of Led driver to run the
Lux at max.
My MXDL doesent have a star in it its a emitter,is it the same in yours?

Benny

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
WildRice said that 3 batts with a diode to drop the voltage works about right. I forget if he was using NiMH or Alkalines. Best to test each. I'd say alkaliens will overdrive it but then drop Votlage fast and not hold up.. I'd try NiMH and a resistor or diode to drop the voltage a bit...

I have 2 850mah AAA cells I don't know if they make higher?

One thing to watch out for is the R/O will pull current way past the NiMH over-discharge level and can damage them!!!

WildRice

Flashlight Enthusiast
3x "D" cells with a large power diode (5A mabyee) sitts around 1.47A. I also tried a Li-ion, this too needed the same diode to keep the current under 1.5A. The Li-ion was able to supply more current than the alky's. I tried 3x AA Ni-MH, with the diode off the top was about 1.43A, sat about 1.3A.

NOTE, not all diodes are equal. Be SURE to use a diode that can handle the current and not fry.
Jeff

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just found out that Emilion sells a modified version of the MXDL,that i beleve would be a good host to the R/O Lux III

Emilion said this in a mail to me:

The MXDL use a 3 AAA battery holder. I just modify the holder a bit so the
batteries are in parallel. I'm not sure about the current draw of a R/O LUX
III,
but 3 X DLG Li-ions can provide 2A current at least. Yes, I mean DLG
Li-ions
because they are good quality, and can suffer from high current draw.
The modified battery
holder
provides 3.7v 2.1A power

The only thing is that i dont know if the R/O Lux can handle such a current.

So what do you guys think?

Benny

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a red/orange on the way... aiming to set up in a cnc123 host with LDO driver so i can drive it at at least 900mA.. depending on the Vf maybe 1A..

-awr

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Benny,
Did you ever get this built? I have a R/O on the way for a 3XAAA light that had a LD clone on it... I got NiMH ready and waiting for it, just need the lux to come in the mail..

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there!

I never did get any longer than talking about it.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Instead i ordered one Q3 POP2 R/O with Viren`s copper heatsink from cgpeanut.
The MXDL i put in a orgiginal Q3 star in and put a 27mm IMS in.
The improvement was not so bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifa smoother beam with little more throw.

Benny

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, I wondered about the MXDL and 27mm reflector. If the light I have doens't work out I'll put the R/O in a MXDL with 27mm reflector as I've seen beam shots with the 27mm IMS & R/O and it looked good.

My light I have to use the reflector as it's part of the heatsink and electrical path for the luxeon/led. So if it doens't look good, then it's MXDL time.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The only thing is that the 27mm IMs isn`t a perfect fit,you have to take of the feet and take off about 2-3mm around the reflector to get it in there.I used my Dremel for that.

The reflector is also a bit to short,so you have to put a couple of right Size O-Rings in the head before you put the glass back in.
Then you are set to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Benny