NiMH AAA in Peak Matterhorn 3 LED Ultra Power?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an original Peak Matterhorn Hi Power with 3 snow LEDs and it works well expect regulation. Lithium AAA batteries cost more than NiMH AAA cells so I thought of something.
NiMH batteries have very stable output voltage as do lithiums. Knowing that the Matterhorn Ultra Power really pushes the current to the LEDs, would the output drop to say... "Hi Power" levels with NiMH batteries? If it does, I could get one and run it at more normal levels and use rechargables for more stable output.
Has anyone tried this or can you? Even if the NiMH AAA cell gets crushed by the twist-on action switch after a recharge or two, it will be much cheaper and batteries more obtainable than lithiums.

rodmeister

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
Even if the NiMH AAA cell gets crushed by the twist-on action switch after a recharge or two, it will be much cheaper and batteries more obtainable than lithiums.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using Nimh AAA's in my Matterhorn Ultra (they are bright!)and have not had a problem with the batteries being crushed, though I've always thought it would be a major problem. My Panasonics and Ray-o-vac Nimh batteries barely get a scratch. The execption are my 15-minute Ray-o-vacs which developed a slight indentation on the flat negative end, which seems to be self-limiting. I've developed a habit of tightening the head only enough to turn the light on without excessively putting pressure on the battery.

rodmeister

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:
Even if the NiMH AAA cell gets crushed by the twist-on action switch after a recharge or two, it will be much cheaper and batteries more obtainable than lithiums.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been using Nimh AAA's in my Matterhorn Ultra (they are bright!)and have not had a problem with the batteries being crushed, though I've always thought it would be a major problem. My Panasonics and Ray-o-vac Nimh batteries barely get a scratch. The execption are my 15-minute Ray-o-vacs which developed a slight indentation on the flat negative end, which seems to be self-limiting. I've developed a habit of tightening the head only enough to turn the light on without excessively putting pressure on the battery.

rodmeister

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BentHeadTX said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Moat

Enlightened
Wow... TRIPLE POST!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts