Xenon Short Arc flashlights?

andy435

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I am looking for a cheap High Intensity Xenon short-arc handheld flashlight. IS there anywhere I can order this if it exists?

I am looking for a xenon short-arc flashlight.

pyro

Enlightened
Xenon short-arc and cheap do simply not fit together.

Are you really looking for a flashlight?
I dont know one, just searchlights like Maxa Beam and the xenonics Nighthunter.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
MaxaBeam, Xenonics Night Hunter, Night Hunter II, MegaRay, SuperNova......(only ones I can think of right now).....

Unfortunatly, the cheapest one you'll find right now is the SuperNova which can be found for around $600 in the GB forum (You'll have to wait for the next supply though)

Next to that there is the MaxaBeam, which you can find online for around $1800. There was recently a sale of them for $1000 but that has ended I believe.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
why short arc

a maxa beam has about 1000 bulb lumens at 75 watts

a phillips dl35 bulb has 3600 lumens at 35 watts

pyro

Enlightened
Why short arc?
Very good focusing ability without a huge reflector!
VERY good color. much more uniform than any D2s bulbs.
Not tinted yellow or blue, just white, nothing other.

The metal Halide bulbs have a way better efficiency if that is what you need.
My 50W system should be ready in a few weeks.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
my phillips dl50 bulb(real 50 watt d2s bulb) has a cri of 75

3900k 5300 lumens 50 watts

do short arc systems have a better cri spec in general ?

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search for 'miniHID' in the "Group Buys and Passarounds" section here. The miniHID and Mag2HID are the most affordable HID setups and are only about $300.

Jeff

andy435

Newly Enlightened
Forget it guys....there too too too $$$. Cant get less than 500 bucks.

I was looking for a flashlight that would output a light or a beam equivilent to a Nightsun XLS that is mounted on police helicopters. I know those Nightsuns use a Xenon Short-arc. Also, Im looking for that bluish-purple tinge kinda look on the beam. Have you guys seen a police helicopter with its Nighsun on??? Well...it has that bluish-purple color to its beam. I wish I had a flashlight that can do that..

But I would like to have one of those on a flashlight. But I guess its impossible.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The nightsuns cost $$$$$ (much more than anything portable by hand)

Also, they are MUCH more powerful than anything portable.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Mag Mini HID will get you the color temp your looking for but nothing close to the out put of a Night Sun short arc.

Later
Kelly

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
***edit**

Power of the Night Sun Short Arc for under $500. The only way you can get a light that powerful for that amount of money is to pay someone $500 to steal it for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif

Jeff

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
andy435 said:
Forget it guys....there too too too $$$. Cant get less than 500 bucks.

I was looking for a flashlight that would output a light or a beam equivilent to a Nightsun XLS that is mounted on police helicopters.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Very funny. April 1st was some time ago, however.

Nightsun uses a 1.6KW xenon short arc. The bulb, nevermind the fixture, costs $1,400. The searchlight heads start at $8,300 (bulb included), plus $4,000 for the power supply, $1,400 for the control box, and a few hundred for cables. Call it $14,000 for a basic setup.

Then you have to find a way to power it. A battery bank capable of supplying 2KW+ for a nontrivial period will cost thousands.

Even if you get all that equipment, you still won't have a nightsun flashlight as all this stuff will be too heavy to heavy to lift and the heat from the bulb would melt your hands.