Is there something wrong with my mouse?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well very often, my (mouse?) acts strangely. It scrolls up and down rapidly and doesnt stop until I move the mouse a little. Its not the ball kind, but the laser kind and I have a soft pad for it. Is there a problem? I cant really test out anything, but it kinda concerns me sometimes. Is there anything wrong?

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it cordless? If so it could be the batteries. If not, I might have the same problem (except mine is LED not laser). Mine seems to get stuck down within the bottom left third of the screen from time to time and I have to try several times to pull it to the top right, especially annoying when closing windows.

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
Maybe the mousepad (or lack thereof) does not have enough "pattern" for the LED (or laser) to detect mouse movement? Try changing the mouse pad area?

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a cordless Logitech mouse that would do that. That was one of many tricks it could play. It required special drivers if I wanted to monitor the battery and the drivers would crash often. Oh yeah, it was uncomfortable to use and cramped my fingers. Throwing it in the dumpster gave me great pleasure.

Newegg used to sell a kick-*** Microsoft wired optical for $14 that always works well on any surface, no drivers required, and no finger cramping. Naturally they've discontinued it. You are on your own. Glad I bought three of them.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ordinary, PS-2 wired, two button w/scroll wheel, never gave my any trouble until after I read about someone else's problem of having the arrow move just as one clicks the button or the cursor will just take off on its own. Forgot what the cure was because mine didn't start that behavior until AFTER I forgot the details.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just as I hit "Continue" the cursor "side-stepped" over a couple inches. Usually it'll move vertically. This is all WAY beyond coincidence.

LightChucker

Enlightened
Go to:

"Control Panel".
"Pointer Options" tab.
"Automatically move pointer to default button in a dialog box" checkbox.

Take a look at it to see how you have it set. Might make a difference.

Chuck

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
LightChucker said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually i dont quite like this feature. A window (or dialog box) might just pop up just as you were to click on something and you find yourself saying OK to something you didnt intend to (and you wouldnt know what it was since it was just that few milli seconds the dialog box appeared.)

I have it disabled.

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
John_KK said:
[ QUOTE ]
LightChucker said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually i dont quite like this feature. A window (or dialog box) might just pop up just as you were to click on something and you find yourself saying OK to something you didnt intend to (and you wouldnt know what it was since it was just that few milli seconds the dialog box appeared.)

I have it disabled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and that is why I suggested that he investigate how he has this set. It could have been the cause of his problem.

Chuck