"Slippery" Lube for Twistie Tailcaps

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
\"Slippery\" Lube for Twistie Tailcaps

I would like a faster and smoother action for my twistie tailcap lights, and am looking for the most "slippery" lubricant. I've tried my Radio Shack "Multi-Purpose Lube Gel", which is OK, but I'm hoping for something better (and still safe for the light, of course).

I would really appreciate any suggestions for an easily obtainable (and not too expensive ) lube.

Thanks.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: \"Slippery\" Lube for Twistie Tailcaps

my nyogel lube gives a very smooth twist, but it gets harder if you leave it alone for a day. you need to twist it once and twice to make it smooth again.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have tried them all, and I do really mean all.
However I have finally found the perfect solution.
For this to work, the threads have to be a little sloppy to start with. Get some plumbers 'Teflon" tape, it's usually white.Try one, possibly two, wraps. Takes a couple of tries, but you will be delighted with the results.
This was recommended by a fellow member and I am sorry that I can not remember his name.

If you have enough clearance, then you can also try the much thicker "Teflon tape for gas connections". Its pink and thicker.

attowatt

Enlightened

Anglepoise,

you mean you took the o-ring off and are only using teflon tape ?????

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast

I left the oring in place and carefully cut the tape, before application, to fit just the thread area.
If the thread area is conducting current, then this mod won't work and you would have to use an electrical conducting silicon grease like Nyogel 759g.