How fast do RECHARGEABLES lose their charge?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I've heard that rechargeable batteries tend to lose their charge at a significantly higher rate than non-rechargeables. Is this true, and if so, can anyone give me a rough idea of the percentage loss of the various types per unit of time, whether it be daily, weekly or monthly?

Best regards,
Brightnorm

Lonewolf

Enlightened
Just to mix it up a little but how do the rechargeable Alkalines compare to the Nicads and the Nimh. I understand that they hold there charge for years but how does the run time compare?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used those rech. alks. quite awhile too.
Those seem to keep their charge almost as well as the regular alkalines. Although, after they've been recharged 30-40 times or so, that drops off too.
Some numbers for capacity:
AA alkaline-2800mAh
" rech.alk-1500mAh
" " NimH-1800mAh-(newest/best)

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
I've heard that rechargeable batteries tend to lose their charge at a significantly higher rate than non-rechargeables. Is this true, and if so, can anyone give me a rough idea of the percentage loss of the various types per unit of time, whether it be daily, weekly or monthly?

Best regards,
Brightnorm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Norm, -that's true alright...
But you do want to remember that % losses daily are based on the remaining battery capacity (like isotopes).
I use rechargeables a heck of a lot and as a rule, I have found that Nicads lose about 1% daily and the Nimhs about 2% daily. But remember, as The Battery Guy sez: those loss percentages are not based on the original capacity, so as the battery drains, the losses get proportionately smaller each day. -That's why you will notice that those rechargeables in your device can still be functioning as long as 6-8 months later.