Inova XO beam isn't circular

retroconcrete

Newly Enlightened
Inova XO beam isn\'t circular

I tried convincing myself I could live with it, but the non-circular beam on my light is starting to really bother me. I guess the part I'm specifically talking about is the hot spot - although the outer rings are perfectly fine, the hot spot isn't uniformly circular, like one side of it has been squashed.

I've included a beam shot and a picture from Inova's website. The red part on the graph is the area in question, and you can compare it to the squashed effect seen towards the top of the hot spot.

Seeing as how Inova says "The XO beam is uniformly circular, with a well-defined hot spot" and the beam on mine isn't, I'm considering sending it in for a warranty claim. Do you think it would be valid, and what is the usual processing time for claims (and how do I go about sending the $5 for shipping/handling - check, cash, money order) ?

I'm really not sure if it's worth the hassle. Maybe I can try to convince myself that the flaw gives the flashlight character, or something. As for other Inova products, is anyone aware if the T1/T2/T3 lights are sold in brick-and-mortar stores? Thanks for all your help in advance.

flawedbeam.jpg

xo-2d.jpg

scudinc

Enlightened
Re: Inova XO beam isn\'t circular

That really shouldn't affect day-to-day use. Why does it matter? Some of the most expensive Surefire lights have "donut beams" or are ovoid, but we've discovered that it really doesn't matter. If the only thing you use your flashlight for is illuminating white walls at 90 degree angles from short distances, this could be a problem. In the real world, it's not.

Pila_Power

Enlightened

I have noticed this similar thing with a couple of Pila lamps I have here. I'm pretty sure its just the shape of the bulb end coming into play cos some of the the light for the hot spot shines through the tip of the lamp doesn't it?

My theory is that this lamp tip can be circular or otherwise, affecting the hot spot.

Another thing just came to mind; could be that the glowing wire, being kinda linear, might cause a non-circular image due to its physical properties.

I'm all out of ideas now sorry. Hope I helped shed some light on to the issue.

I like my lights to be as perfect as possible, I understand how it feels to demand perfection when reality is close but not close enough for your liking.

Oh well, c'est la vie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cslinger

Enlightened

Wow you guys are tough crowd. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just want useable light for the longest time possible so beam quality isn't really my thing, so when I say it looks fine to me take that with a grain of salt.

I have an X03, T1 and two T2s at home that I will try to remember to take a look at to compare to yours to see if any of mine exhibet the same "flaw".

Chris

BigPete

Newly Enlightened

Just examined my X03 and my hotspot is also off center. Its only possible to see this when its closer than 1.5 meters to a wall.
Then again, I didn't buy a X03 to use inside so I'm not bothered.

cslinger

Enlightened

Just looked at my T1,T2s and X03 and my beams seem pretty circular. I mean they are not a perfectly defined circle as they have noticable fuzzyness at the edges but they are pretty circular to me. All my Inovas work wonderfully.

Chris

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened

For another data point, my T2 has a slightly smeared hotspot but my T3 has a near-perfect beam. The 'defect' in my T2 isn't an issue (or even visible) in actual use.

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened

My Inova XO3 also forms the same image against a white wall as shown in the photos above but it does not affect it's ability to outshine a lot of lights it's size. I wouldn't try seeing it as character added to the light since it seems that all the Tiros optical lights share the same flaw! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif But then again, Inova engineered a fine piece of machinery so I would just try and look at it as a beauty mark...Kinda like Cindy Crawfords mole. 'nuff said!