New Member needs some help choosing.

clays

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all. I'm a new member. I am interested in trying an LED SureFire that could really serve a wide range of possible uses for a while until I know better what I like in a quality light. However, the affordable incandescent G2 and 6P look tempting. Basically, I don't know if I should be looking to a KL1-based spot-type light (E2L) or a flood type like an L4. I just don't know what I'll prefer until I try them for a while but want to make the best guess. I just know it should be bright enough to do many jobs. I've been a longtime hiker and backpacker and have used many less expensive lights such as the Mags to a couple of CMG Infinity Ultra's, which we use for long-running use and reading or to preserve night-vision when only a little light is needed, mostly when hiking and camping. I'm not a headband light fan. I'd like it to light up the ground if I drop something in the dark, find what's rustling in the woods nearby, or, you name it. The CMG's are great and small, but of limited usefulness when it comes to needing more. But, because I use the CMG's for their intended purpose, a new light wouldn't necessarily have to go the longest time on a set of batteries. I'd rather it be one that would have some significant power to it, but still a good pocketable, portable size that can go anywhere I may want to take it. My research leads me to the L4 as the most probable one to try but would welcome other suggestions.

I see info on this forum regarding different body styles of the L4, namely flat and round bodies. Does this affect function or just the shape of the battery body? Thanks for any help or other recommendations you could provide!

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Clays,

Welcome to CPF.

The L4 is a great choice and it gets a lot better with on of McGizmo's 2 stage tail caps.

Slightly larger but more functional, in my opinion, is the U2...

On the other hand, the G2 is a great light too.

Here you go... get one of each. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Tom

BigPete

Newly Enlightened
Advanced warning! Now that you have joined CPF, you won't ever have/need just 1 flashlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

L4 is a probably a good bet, but have a look at the L2, will probably find its low setting better for walking in order to preserve night vision and batteries, but there is the high setting there when you need it.

Not sure about the different styles of the L4, think its just body shape changes, don't take my word as Gospel though.

cslinger

Enlightened
If size is not the biggest factor than I really think the L2 is the way to go. You can find them for $120ish and they really make a marvelous outdoor light.

The L1 is also a spectacular light. It is more suited to indoor or emergency tasks but it is just a super usefull light that is very easy to always have with you. Figure around $90 for an L1 and add a F04 beamshaper for another $12 bucks and you have a light that has great throw or a nice flood and has the additon of a super low setting for close range or emergency use.

L1 indoors
L2 outdoors.

L4 is very nice and can use rechargeables but once you buy one and decide that you want to mod it to work similar to an L2 you have most likely passed the price of an L2 by a bit. Just my 2 cents, but then I am not a rechargeable guy.

Chris

jtice

Flashaholic
The L4 is a great light, alot of output for its size.
It will light an entire room up, however, its not a tight beam, and will not light up a dog 50+ yards down a trail very well.
But it really depends where you will use it alot, a tight far throwing beam is great, untill you try to use it close range, then you are pointing a small bright dot of light around alot.

I find the U2 is inbetween, its a wide beam also, but with muh more throw than the L4.
If you will mainly use it outdoors, you will want a good bit of throw, and I recommend a Aleph mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My review on the L4 and U2 can be found here.
http://www.jtice.com/review

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
clays,

Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

The Surefire L4 meets your requirements and I think you would be quite pleased with it.

clays

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone who's posted so far with your recommendations! I'm now looking at the L4 mainly due to price, but also the L2 and U2 based on the recommendations above and trying to figure out if they'd be worth the extra money for what I'd likely use it. I see a dealer named oldgrandpajack has the L4's and seems to be a good source. Other than him, most internet dealers seem to be selling at MSRP and it looks like www.surefire.com would be no more expensive than the dealers such as brightguy.com. I would have thought the dealers would be cheaper than buying direct. Maybe that's just the way it is with Surefire.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, that is the way it is.. (long story about why omitted)

I do recommend that you consider the U2. It's a heck of a way to start the collection and it will do so at a seriously high price, but then again, there is nothing else quite like it.

I own both the U2 and the L4. The L4 is an awesome light, but out of the 30 lights in my entire collection, if I had to pick only ONE light to go with me, no matter what the mission, one name keeps coming up, and only one name - the U2 Digital Ultra. There are nine Surefires, 7 SuperMags and a dozen assorted lights to choose from amongst those 30.

The L4 is my favorite 'house' EDC for use indoors because it is light and comfortable to wear on a lanyard. The U2 is my 'work' EDC for use in every other imaginable role because of its variable power.

Never underestimate a variable power light - the light levels cover every concievable situation. I can dial it down enough to read a map in a car at 3AM on a darkened street, or launch a gigantic, blinding white cone out to sixty yards as a shield of light - perfect when you encounter the unexpected when taking a shortcut late at night. (I think that guy probably freaked out more than I did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Additionally, it solves the classic dilemma - some days you will need extreme runtime, some days you will need the 100+ lumen shield of light, and if Murphy has his say, you will never know in advance which days will need what. The U2 enables you to stay one step ahead of the game. I think of the six levels not so much in terms of light output but as 'battery extender' modes - 1 hour, 2.5 hours, 5, 10, 20, 40.

They were right.. it truly is the Ultra. But then again, I'm biased /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

savumaki

Enlightened
Welcome to confusionville (and CPF) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif Don't get me wrong the veterans aren't confused; just us neophytes.
You can get a LOT of good info from the sites that do reviews; I find this one to have a very good layout;
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html
There are several others also.
I purchased several LED lights on ebay at down and dirty prices to see if I would like them plus building some of the simpler ones (incl. mods) and have since started to get better lights (read L2).
One thing I've concluded is; if you want throw; you buy one kind but if it's flood or output you want you get another; there does not seem to a small pkg that gives you both.
LED vs Incan- I like the safety and light from an LED ( I own 8-10 of the other kind)
Hold on tight; the ride starts; /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/knight.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your primary use is mostly for hiking and camping, then the battery life on the L4 might not be so desirable, unless you get a 2 stage tailcap for it (McE2s from McGizmo).

You might do better with a G2 + a 3W Led dropin module (from BugOutGear), that way you have some throw and your batts last longer too. Bring the original G2 incan lamp assembly with you too, just in case the night turns out to be foggy, that way you can swap out the lamps as the incan would cut thru the fog with no probs at all.

But then again, of course the L4 and U2 has a bigger coolness factor... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Welcome to CPF, clays, and why dontcha stay awhile!

I'm with Stanley, the G2 and 3W dropin is pretty handy and inexpensive. But the l4 with McGizmo is excellent. How important is size, cuz that may rule out the U2.

My fave is E2e body, KL4 head and McGizmo tailcap. That's small, bright, two-stage, and stands on end.

welcome again,
daloosh

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the L4 with the standard Z57 clicky. For me, its way easier operate. Its my primary EDC.

Clays - don't know if you are aware, but the L4 will run on one rechargeable Pila 168S battery for guilt-free usage.

best regards

clays

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all who posted! I thought about it over the weekend and am pretty happy with my choice. I ordered an L4 for $140 and should have it tomorrow. I thought long and hard about the L2, U2, and G2+3Wled suggestions but ended up feeling the best about my future options if I go with the L4 now. We'll see what I think after some use. I figure (and feel free to tell me if this is bad logic) that the L4 will be a great light to complement my wife's and my long running Infinity Ultras on hiking and backpacking trips, will be great as for other general uses where a lot of light is desired, and buying the KL1 spot beam head as an accessory is a lot cheaper than buying a KL4 flood head, separately, if I ever wish to accessorize that way. Also, I have the option with the L4 of using rechargables (I see Pila's are supposed to work especially well with the L4) when possible or even adding a 2 stage switch to it if I want to do more low-light uses with this particular light. The L2 was a very close second but the compactness of the L4 and the flexibility of the L4 platform as far as future accessorizing options seemed right this time around. But, it's all guessing at this point. I'll give some first impressions after I receive it and try it out!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L4 is actually a pretty good deal as well. I wish I'd bought my L4 when I started, because adding accessories to the L4 really is cheaper than the other way around. Of course in time I am sure you will own *ALL* the above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have the Infinity Ultra as well, and I agree with you that the L4 is everything the Ultra isn't. The two go together very well.

Go for it!